1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Four and NCAA Title Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

No other way to put it.
    Most talented team in college basketball in year did exactly what most expected it to do at the beginning of the year.
    That doesn't mean Roy isn't a good coach, etc. But for them to NOT win would have been a huge choke job. This team was built for a six-game stretch of bitch slaps like they just put on.

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, and maybe it's some sort of subconscious UNC hatred going on, but it seemed like Michigan State played with two different sets of rules against UConn and UNC. In the semifinal, both teams were allowed to play the way they play -- tough, physical basketball. In the final, Michigan State played the same way but got a whistle for all sorts of shit that wasn't called Saturday.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think you're mistaken.

It's not subconscious.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Game-day coaching is vastly overrated (except by too many on this board).

5. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

Apparently Jason Whitlock was smelling something else when he smelled "destiny" in terms of a Michigan State victory Monday night. And anybody who believes that Roy Williams is a better coach this morning than he was Monday morning, or that Tom Izzo is a worse coach than he was 24 hours ago is not terribly smart.

6. I don't see anyone here who believes that.
    Worst. Tournament. Ever.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Tied with '07.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Boring tournament. Boring final.

Will ESPN stop with the "they came back for to win the title" crap. They came back because their draft stock sucked.

9. Well, Ellington's doesn't any more.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Thing is recruiting is a HUGE part of college coaching. I think the Rivers comparison is flawed because Rivers had little to nothing to do with acquiring those players. Williams had everything to do with acquiring his. Every coach in the country conceivably can have any player. The fact that Williams got the best ones and they won it all makes him a great college coach.

11. Boobie Miles

I'll agree with the sentiment that this was a weak tournament, but you're pretty far off on this one. That was the kid's second big shot of the game -- the first came to tie it at the end of OT and the second "double order" shot came at the end of double OT to give Siena the win. Not an all-time great moment or anything seeing as how it was an 8-9 game, but certainly worthy of being included.

12. Boobie Miles

No idea why I'm even bothering, but don't you think your reasons pregame for an MSU win were just as silly, if not more, than the "out-coaching" reason?

I just think it's odd because I basically agree with your final paragraph which seemed to be your argument throughout the Final Four, but the destiny and revenge crap flew in the face of that thinking. So I don't see how you can turn around and go back to calling out others for their "silliness" when you offered up those reason for a possible MSU win.

Draft saved Draft deleted