1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Four and NCAA Title Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe. But like Roy, even coaches like Calipari, Calhoun, Pitino, Howland, Self, Krzyzewski, Boeheim and Izzo can coach a poor game or two in the tournament and fall short of expectations.

In this case, you give credit where credit's due. Roy recruited a great team and led it to a championship. It's what he gets paid to do. Not everyone has those same expectations.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You mean Calipari and Howland could do it because they've proven they could do it with all those rings they have between them?

Roy Williams now has two - maybe it is time to give the guy some credit.

3. zagoshe

And boy was I wrong on this one - I figured Michigan State had everything going for them and would play some great defense, keep the game close and find that push at the end. That's what they've done against the top opponents in this tournament.

They were never in it.

This was a tremendous effort by North Carolina - a great team by every definition.

I would like to ask some of our resident "he got outcoached" experts if Tom Izzo all of the sudden got stupid?

I mean, he didn't have his team prepared, they didn't shoot well, they didn't play well, they couldn't defend and didn't protect the basketball.

It is funny thing isn't it --it is hard to be a genius and have a great game plan when your guys don't make shots and your guys don't play well, despite all of your gipper speeches and halftime adjustments.

That's what happens when you are dealing with 18-22 year olds -- some nights, they just don't play well which, as I've said throughout this tournament, is what makes the "out coaching" silliness exactly that.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Roy doesn't give a shit about credit right now.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You just earned ONE "post Brook with a mustache and get out of jail free" card.

Awesome.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Zag, I agree with you 100%. This had nothing to do with coaching. This was one team on top of its game, and that led to taking the other out of its game.
    Carolina showed what they are and have been -the best team in the country all year.
    If you got the crap kicked out of you twice in a season --beginning and end -- by the same team, as MSU did, the simply fact is they are a lot better than you and proved it.

And you're right, too, AQB. Roy doesn't care about or need credit. He's got two National championships in five years.
    And fuck the KU/UNC reference.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Rumor is Psycho T's suiting up in red and black tomorrow night so The Ville might have a chance to keep it within 25.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He'd be the most feminine-looking girl on that team. :D

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

No kiddin'. The lovely and talented Caroline Doty would probably beat him up.

10. zagoshe

What? No way. Are you trying to say Angel McCoughtry is not a hottie?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably about 15 percent. Michigan utterly dominates the state.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not girl-looking, but a mouth-breather. Looks oafish when he sits on the bench, his lower jaw hanging.

Haven't seen that kind of "DUH!" look on a Final Four player since Bryant "Big Country" Reeves in 1995.

Draft saved Draft deleted