1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Coaches Rankings in USA Today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't Mack Brown have Cal ridiculously low a few years back when Texas and Cal were battling for the final at-large BCS spot?

I don't see anything like that this year.

2. Mizzougrad96

There are quite a few who don't want them. Not sure if that's the case here.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'm not feeling screwed. This isn't the first year I have thought this, and I'm not trying to make this a rant thread at all. I'm saying that the self-interest only reassures my stance on how screwed up the system is. Why should coaches even be voting to begin with? To alienate other coaches and programs?

I do hate Bielema, though.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would say the likelihood is pretty high.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Mike Gundy doesn't have a vote, either. Think he would have wanted one this season?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It wasn't just Brown, it was his a core of voters, presumably including Mack's brother Watson (UAB coach I think?) and the other Big 12 coaches, who switched their votes the last weekend when Texas was idle and Cal chose to take a knee instead of running it up on Southern Miss. I think that was the one that led to the disclosing of coaches' final ballots. There were some ballots that had Cal as low as eighth.

Should make for fun memories when Texas and Cal get together for the bowl this year.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Nick Saban voted Oklahoma State fourth, one spot lower than what they ended up finishing.

Holy crap, what a scandal.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

As for '04 Cal, they could've removed some doubts by not getting viciously assaulted in their bowl game. Which they did. Whoops.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True, although they were playing with zero receivers after everyone got hurt. And that's not really the discussion, or else you could say every team that lost the BCS title game badly (Ohio State '06, Oklahoma '08, etc.) also by definition didn't belong.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Gundy was on Scoot Van Pelt and said he was "disappointed" by Missouri's Pinkel voting OSU No. 4. He also said, "(Alabama) had their chance, so we should get ours."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As close as this was?

I expect nothing more from Nicky. They got what they paid for, down there.

12. Mizzougrad96

Gundy has a right to be mad, but it's completely subjective.

Bama lost to the No. 1 team in the country.
    Stanford lost to the No. 5 team in the country.
    Boise lost to the No. 15 team in the country.
    Oklahoma State lost to a 6-6 team that is going to the Pinstripe Bowl. I am sympathetic to the circumstances surrounding that loss, but you can't lose a game like that and expect to make the title game unless you're Florida. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted