1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Coaches Rankings in USA Today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I thought this deserved its own thread: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-final-coaches-ballots/51647436/1

Interesting to see how the coaches voted. As an MSU fan, it's funny seeing Bielema vote MSU No. 16 and Wisconsin No. 6. Really, you were that much better, Bielema? And Les Miles (the former Michigan assistant coach) put U-M at No. 8 and MSU at No. 16. Hmm.

Stanford's David Shaw voted his team at No. 3, which was expected. Seemed like not everyone agrees with Alabama at No. 2, but the majority of coaches do. Saban voted for Okie State at No. 4 and Stanford at No. 3.

Fishy, fishy...

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Self-interest.

Miles played for Bo. He picks on anybody who shows up to any LSU function wearing what he considers to be Ohio State colors (red mostly). Think that kind of stuff might influence his vote?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not fishy. There's really nothing that wild throughout the whole ballot; Spurrier voted Boise 11th but that's about it.

Had Mack Brown been voting, this would have been a different story.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed. Only a couple voted Okie State lower than third, but that's either chalked up to a respect for Stanford or excessive drink, since Gary Pinkel was one of them.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Tom O'Brien, who voted Georgia #7, and Bronco Mendenhall, who didn't vote for Georgia at all, are two funny individuals. Watch football sometime, fellas.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One lost to Oregon, the other lost to Iowa State. I don't think it's a big deal to have those two flip-flopped.

I thought it was interesting that Chizik had Oklahoma State No. 5.

At a quick glance the only schools that seemed to have a really wide range of votes were Boise, Houston, TCU which isn't that uncommon.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Maybe not fishy but self-interest seems to be evident in these polls. Is that really what should influence the overall system?

8. Mizzougrad96

My bad, it was Calhoun who had Okie State No. 5.

9. Mizzougrad96

If you look at the top five teams, there's really not a major WTF pick in the whole bunch.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Expect nothing else from Saban.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

College football did not just begin when Michigan State advanced to the Big Ten Conference championship game. I know you're feeling screwed, and if you are arguing with the entire idea of the polls that's fine, but self-interest is not a new concept in polls.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Anyone know the criteria for who has a vote and who doesn't? Is it simply willingness to take part, or something more?

I was just curious to see that the first-year coach at Stanford has a vote but Chip Kelly doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted