1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Buick Open?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You also had the Par-3 Shootout in Gaylord :D Let's not forget that.

Seriously, Michigan needs and deserves Tour events. The state is a golfing hotbed and home to some of the finest public-access courses in the country.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Raises the whole issue of event sponsorships and if/where events will fold or move. I read the LPGA has lost seven tournaments in the last two years.

Will GM has been more in the headlines than some others, I'm sure a lot of companies that are hurting can't wait for sponsorship contracts to expire and find better things to do with their money.

The purses have gotten outrageous over the past 10 years and I think a market correction is probably overdue.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My family all work for Deere. Luckily all of them hasn't been laid-off, my Mom who works at the corporate office in Moline said the brass is leaning towards ending it, but talks have cooled for now.

A good friend in the media used to work in the QCA market before coming here to Des Moines was getting the same vibe, as his wife works for Deere as well.

I would expect Deere to make up their minds before next year's event, given that CEO Bob Lane is stepping down in 2010.

Draft saved Draft deleted