1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Film Geeks To The Bridge, OnThe Double!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I never heard of this film, but the piece makes its story sound interesting.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/31/AR2007053102364.html?nav=E8

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Boy, I thought I knew movies (especially 70s movies), but I never heard of that one.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

They had a good piece about the movie on NPR a few months ago. Some English grad student bent my ear at a party last summer about how Burnett was the best black filmmaker around...even better than Spike Lee.

4. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Funny, but you can't see this movie in Southern California.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Killer of Sheep?" Joke possibilities abound!

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's been running downtown here for a couple of months. Great backstory, terrific reviews and I have absolutely no memory of it from the 70s - a decade during which I often attended the moving pictures.

Why don't you five parachute in and we'll all go? We can go to Totonno's afterwards for pizza pie.

7. The summer after I graduated from college, I worked for a film professor at my university arranging an academic film symposium. One other thing we did that summer was organize a film festival of sorts that involved a nationwide tour of films from the National Film Registry. Stuff like 2001, Out of the Past, some old Bugs Bunny cartoons. A good four or five days of restored film. The kind of stuff that reminds you of the potential of the moving image.

On to Killer of Sheep... As part of that tour, we showed the Library of Congress' print in the student theater (Burnett was there ... he seemed like a nice, serious fellow). It's a good movie. It has a definite cinema verite feel to it, but it isn't like a documentary.

I had read about it in our promotional materials, so I knew its status in the film canon and I was expecting to see something special. It is. Not in a life-changing sort of way. But you come away from it feeling like you've seen something truly authentic, which for me is really rare in a work of fiction. I definitely would want to see it again.

8. Oh, and here's the Web site: www.killerofsheep.com/.

Draft saved Draft deleted