1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Filling out headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

My ME says he wants every headline to fit 100 per cent of the space allocated for it. No, I'm not joking.

I was taught that you fill two-thirds of the last column your headline runs over.

2. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

My shop is absolutely terrible at this. I'm a designer, but the copy editors write headlines and edit stories. We have 14 point nutgraphs that are frequently written with zero regard for filling out the line.

I always heard the last line shouldn't be the shortest one. I don't mind if it's a character or two short but our copy desk leaves them many words short.

They frequently look something like this:

Podunk wins district title
    behind 14 points from
    Jones

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I can't warm up to the parallel nicknames as an absolute rule. In fact, I guess this is a rule I break the most.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Just an aside, our ME recently told us that any number 1-9 MUST be spelled out in a hed. Interestingly, that rule doesn't apply to news.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have never understood the logic behind that rule, whether for heads, body copy or anything else.

IMO, there is no better --- or shorter --- way of expressing a number than by actually using the number.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Fucktards win three-to-two.

Meh, just doesn't do it for me.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Horse
    wins
    race

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Like I said, I can't stand some of the USAT's heds that don't come even remotely close to filling up the space. The two-thirds rule, IMO, should be an exception, not the guideline.

I don't think *every* headline should fill out 100 percent ... but it should be pretty damn close.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

OK ... so Tiger wins the Masters. How do you write that headline? Can you use his name in a deckhead at least?

10. Agreed, leaving it short is just busy lazy. It's one thing if you are right on deadline or have an extremely tough count, but otherwise it should be as tight as possible, it's part of what us deskers are getting paid for in first place. There is almost always another way to word a hed to fit better, almost always.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Simple...

Cablanasian beats White Guy in playoff

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

nice. I was trying to remember what Tiger called himself in order to come up with a headline like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted