1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fill out your brackets now and avoid the rush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

From today's SportsBusinessDaily.com, prompting the question: Have we officially jumped the shark as a civilization?

ESPN has signed on to televise this year’s USA Rock Paper Scissors (USARPS) League championship, “helping give the nascent sport an air of legitimacy,” according to Michael Schneider of DAILY VARIETY. The second annual championship, sponsored by Bud Light, will take place May 12-13 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, and ESPN will air a 60-minute special on the event this summer. Last year’s inaugural tournament aired on A&E. ESPN Programming & Acquisitions Dir Ilan Ben-Hanan said that the net felt the event is a “‘fun’ alternative for its viewers.” USARPS League co-Commissioner Matti Leshem, who exec produced ESPN’s “2-Minute Drill,” called the deal with ESPN “a milestone for the sport. It’s a real validation.” Schneider notes Leshem in ’04 secured the TV rights to the World RPS championship in Canada and produced a special for FSN’s “BDSSP,” which led to the creation of USARPS.

Leshem and USARPS co-Commissioner Andrew Golder have also launched an online competition, “The Hunt for the USARPS Hotties,” to select the official “RPS Girls” (DAILY VARIETY, 3/13).

Sportschick, Spup, 21, Cadet, you up for this? Perhaps you can stop by during Vegaspalooza in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, I want to see this analysis show. Who are they getting to debate the pros and cons of starting with rock? It's times like this that make me wish I was writing columns again.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

bet against this guy.. he sucks at it..

[​IMG]

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I went 3-0-6 against my buddy the other night, loser had to pay the bar tab. I felt like a soccer team.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

ESPN at least makes more sense than A&E...

Draft saved Draft deleted