1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fill er up, Ayatollah

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This is a serious question, because I really don't know...is the average American using more gasoline today than yesterday, or is the increased usage due to our rising population?

True, but Coca-Cola isn't a 'necessity' for most Americans. If the price of Coke soared to the point that it began to seriously impact peoples' finances, they could quit drinking soda or switch brands. Many people don't have comparable options with gasoline....

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

People might be amazed how much they can stretch a gallon of gas with good driving habits.

How many of you actually get better mileage than the numbers listed on the sticker of your car?

When I owned a gas-sipping Corolla a few years ago, the sticker said 27-33 mpg. I averaged 38 and actually topped 40 a couple of times.

Traded that in for a gas guzzler with a mileage rating of 18-23. I average 25 mpg and got 26.3 on my last fillup.

I also own a Discover gas card. Gives 5% cash back on gasoline purchases.

If I were a lead-footed driver without that card, I would be paying about $300 a month for gasoline. As it is, I pay about $240.

Draft saved Draft deleted