1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Filip Bondy column on Mets PR guy Jay Horwitz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Didn't Butcher get fired because he went home for Christmas?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. He went home for Christmas on the day David Cone was signed as a free agent. Steinbrenner had given him permission to go, but got mad when he called and Butcher wasn't in his office. Steinbrenner offered him the job back a few days later, but Butcher told him to go to hell.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If you've ever read Moss Klein's "Damn Yankees" -- there are some great stories about the pr guys.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yes, the book devoted a whole chapter to the PR guys through 1990.

Oh, and it's "Damned Yankees" and Bill Madden also got credit as co-author.

5. peeterpoon

peeterpoon New Member

I have had a few run-ins over the years with Jay. Nonetheless you have to give the man his props for making it 30 years doing PR for a frequently mistake-prone organization. I don't mind saying that I would miss Jay if he weren't there. Hang in there for another 30, Jay!

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

By the way, what kind of a name is Poon?

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Loved this ending to that SI article on Yankees PR guys:

Having the pleasure to work with Harvey on a regular basis with the Dolphins for the last two years and having known him dating back to 1997 I can just hear him saying that in my head. he's pretty good with the quick one-liners.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've never had a a problem with Jay. I've had him bitch and moan to me about things but that's part of his personna and I have accepted it.
    Jay is tissue paper. He wouldn't harm anyone. Maybe I'm biased because he helped me out many moons ago when I was a young pup, but Jay's OK in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted