1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Filing from afar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 23, 2009.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

As a freelancer, I decided a year ago, bite the bullet and buy a Verizon Air Card. It runs about $480 a year, which after the tax deduction is about $335. For all the live events I cover, it's about $7 a game. Cost of doing business, and far less stressful.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Denny's, too. Bonus: Grand Slam breakfast at 11 p.m.
    Also, Barnes & Noble and Borders both have free WiFi now.

Chiquet, Kevin and others: if you're going to make a habit of this you might want to download and install NetStumbler or buy a digital WiFi detector like this or this or this (but note that only the first of those will tell you whether or not the WiFi network you've found has security encryption). Also, Wigle has a collective map made by wardrivers/warbikers/warchalkers: http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap2/

Or you could get an air card.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is that school networks are notoriously hard to log onto, and a lot of them block e-mail sites, so kids can't cyber or whatever. Unless you know your situation is going to allow you to send from the school, don't count on it.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This would be an issue for the state sportswriters association, coaches association and high school athletic association to discuss in summer where everyone could have their say.

Lay out the situation, needs, problems and hear the school's side of it. Try to come to some agreement so the coaches and HS associations know what is needed.

Writers should not be shoved out of their workplace, even at a high school game, just because the janitor or security guard is ready to go home 30 minutes after the game. It happens, though.

On the flip side, a newspaper should provide its employees with the appropriate equipment to get the job done even if the school isn't helpful. Buy an aircard. Write it off. Help your staff.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Most schools will provide a spot you can send from.

But my preferred route is to look up a local restaurant (even a McDs if need be) and just add a quick bite to my travel expenses...it's quick and easy...just have to make sure the place is open late.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If there's a hotel in the area, stop by before the game and ask if they mind if you use their lobby/lounge area to file from. Most have free wi-fi for their guests and most won't mind helping out as long as you tell them you're a reporter who just needs to send a quick e-mail after the game.

7. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I remember walking around downtown Philadelphia once on a Saturday night carrying my laptop and just hitting the refresh button time and time again until I finally found a wireless network connection. What a fucking adventure. I still can't believe I wasn't robbed of my computer at gun point.

8. somewriter

somewriter Member

I would also tell your boss that if the paper does not think you need a laptop or any other equipment, then you will be in to write just as soon as you can drive back from the game, wherever it is. If that's too late for the paper then, well, something has to give.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Out-of-town reporters have always been welcome at places I've worked, even in the days when the TRS-100 was as high-tech as it gets! Nowadays folks from far out of town are given air cards, and we even use one from our local stadium just in case we get jammed up on deadline.

Don't know what it's like at other championships, but there was free wifi for journalists at the CIF track finals last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted