1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Filing For Unemployment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Jul 22, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Just typing that title made me shiver. It's something I never wanted to have to do, nor I still want to do, but I'm up a river without a paddle. Recently, I got a new job and was just laid off on Tuesday. It's the hardest thing I've had to deal with in a long time. After being unemployed for several months, I found a job; and now, I'm in the dumps again. It's getting to the point where I may have to seek real, professional help for this because this depression has gotten me to an all-time low.

I've figured that this will help me out for a bit while I find a job. I don't imagine I'll need the 26 weeks worth of paychecks coming to me before I find a job, but at least it's there if first comes to worst.

I haven't even told my parents that I have been laid off yet, I guess the embarrassment of their son unable to hold a job is getting to me.

Has anyone ever filed for unemployment? I've done some research on it, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Applying and everything seems easy, but I'm not sure how much I should expect in my mailbox each week.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It all depends on your state, and in some cases, I think, how much you made. How much you're getting in severance, if anything, will play a role as well. There are really too many variables to give a definitive answer. (And I would guess that you won't get anything in your mailbox; the money will probably come through direct deposit.)

In any case, it's probably not going to be much. You probably won't pay your rent on it, but it can keep you in Kraft and Pabst.

Don't beat yourself up though. There are plenty of talented people losing their jobs for no justifiable reason at all. You didn't DO anything to get laid off, so you have nothing to be ashamed of. But get ready for everyone to have a suggestion as to what you should do.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not to further the low feeling, but whether you're eligible or not may depend how long you've been working and how much you made. If eligible, how much you receive will also vary, based on how much you work.

As far as applying, it's not that hard. Some states you can do it all online, others you have to call and talk to a human.

Like deskslave said, there are too many variables (based on each state) to give a definitive answer.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In my state it depends on how you work. I've been working for a year full-time and I am only eligible for 16 weeks of unemployment.

5. Hank_Scorpio

I believe that's because they base a benefit year on 15 months (or five quarters).

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wasn't working very long at all, either. I was there for less than two weeks after they gave me the boot.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Then it probably depends on how many unemployment checks you grabbed before you took this job. Subtract those from the total, I suppose.

By the way, what kind of place cuts you loose after two weeks? If you don't mind me asking, was this a journalism gig? Or just a filler job?

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Sorry you're having to deal with that, Kevin. Like others have said, it's all about your state. Hopefully you live in a state that pays well -- I've learned there's a HUGE range.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It was a filler job for the time being as I work towards getting back to school either in the fall or winter. I've applied at some sports writing gigs, but haven't gotten anything back. I haven't applied or collected any unemployment prior to me calling tomorrow, so I hope that helps out.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Kevin: Don't beat yourself up my friend. You're not a loser. I'm in the same boat (although I joke to friends that I'm a loser, I don't believe that a bit.) I got kicked to the curb after 26 years, not because I sucked but because of the economy and the money I was making. Here, we can apply online for unemployment. Was a piece of cake really. The tough part was getting my money. I got my first check after a month then went another three weeks before I got two more because I got a nice severance package and vacation time. (Why the hell vacation mattered is beyond me; I earned the money before I was gassed.) When I applied, I had to tell them how much I made the last four or five quarters and your checks are based on that. I qualified for the largest payout, roughly $332 a week after taxes. Not a fortune but it helps. Keep your head up, good luck and pray you're not living where I am since our unemployment rate is one of the highest in the U.S.

11. Hank_Scorpio

That doesn't say much about the company that gets rid of you after two weeks.

Not sure if you'll be eligible or not. You may have to have a certain amount of time or make a certain amount before you're eligible. If you were working before this job, that would help.

That said, that may have been one reason why you got the cut, because they knew they may not have to pay unemployment.

But you have nothing to lose by applying for benefits. They can only say no.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Here in Pennsylvania, it's simple and you can do it all on line. It does vary by state, but I'm lucky that this one pays pretty well. Also, I collected unemployment and severance at the same time. It's my understanding that your severance has nothing to do with your unemployment.

Every two weeks on Sunday, I log in and the money is in my checking account by Thursday.

Draft saved Draft deleted