1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

File by Bluetooth and cell phone or aircard?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 19, 2008.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Are you talking about the file transfer or the tether?

If file transfer is it, just use the USB cord which came with the phone. Or any mini to USB cord will work.

Or, if your laptop and Berry are both Bluetooth, you can transfer the file from your laptop to the phone via bluetooth, then attach to email and shoot it off.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You need this:

[​IMG]

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Serious*, I'm a three-finger typer. I can "thumb" it in almost as quickly.

But that's a great idea.

*crossthread :)

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We call you guys: "Peckers."
    ;)

5. Football_Bat

Hey, if the tautology fits ...

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When I used Bluetooth with my laptop at my previous place of employment, you didn't even need a cable. It would pick up "device in range" and dial up, connect, and you were good go. As someone else said, it basically makes your phone a modem. I'll probably look into something like that if it's not too expensive to upgrade my Bluetooth plan, but as with anything I want to make sure there are no hidden charges.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Peter King said he wrote 600 words for his column last week on his BlackBerry. I'll bet he rolls a mean cigarette, too.

10. Football_Bat

I do have Bluetooth on both my BlackBerry and my laptop, but I've never been able to link the two so I can get online where there is no wireless. Any ideas?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like the idea of the blackberry, but if you are set on air cards, well, they are amazing. I've been able to send stuff with an air card despite not having cell service, which would make the blue tooth thing a moot point.

Air cards are wonderful things.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

They can be "paired" but you will have to contact your wireless phone service provider to upgrade your BlackBerry's Bluetooth capability to allow for the dial-up option. That's what I'm probably going to explore first because I am so familiar with doing it that way with my previous (and company-issued) laptop and cell.

Draft saved Draft deleted