1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting white supremacy and all forms of hate-fueled violence

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Is there anything as a reporter and editor I should or could do to call out "white supremacy and all forms of hate-fueled violence?"

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I should have used "calling out" instead of fighting as the subject.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's odd. When I think of the US, I don't think you can tell the history of the country WITHOUT white supremacy and hate-fueld violence - often by the government (national, state and local).

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How does the amount of white supremacy and hate-fueled violence now compare to the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s? How does the amount by national, state and local governments compare?

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I think it actually has been pretty consistent over the decades. I think the thing that makes it seem worse now is that we thought that after the late ‘60s, we had largely advanced as a society and pushed the most virulent racism to the margins. Alas, that has proven to not be the case.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think the dynamic has changed. Obviously it's not sanctioned or policy anymore by governments - at least overtly. I also think the genesis of the hate is more fear-based now by a white majority growing slimmer and slimmer and feeling threatened by the loss of hegemony.

maumann and FileNotFound like this.
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I think with the MAGGATS, it has gotten more pointed and way more out in the open. Voter ID laws, restrictions on where people can vote, early voting, absentee voting are all designed to suppress minorities and benefit white society.

One thing Trumpitty Dumbtitty did is bring everyone and their racism to the forefront. They aren't hiding it at all.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted