1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting in the booth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I posted something about the incident in the MLB topic, but looks like it could be a separate topic now.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Seventeen years and now a fight?

My initial thought would be something in the personal lives happened.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Coulda been a long-simmering argument over Morris vs. Buehrle.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fuck, be careful man.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Impemba’s contract, which ran through 2018 and is estimated to have paid him more than $500,000 annually

Those nightmare flashbacks about that time when I was 18 and the sports guy at the local ABC station saw me do a play-by-play broadcast and told me I should go into that instead of news editing in college are going to come back tonight.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Chef2 likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I covered some of Rod Allen's games when he was in high school. The team was led by former Met-Brewer-Dodger-Red-Yankee-Mariner-Ranger pitcher Tim Leary. They lost a playoff game on a ball hit by ex-Bengals superstar Anthony Munoz that was lost in the sun. The team went on to win the American Legion World Series that summer.

Hermes likes this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Oh, Mario and Rod.

In the event anyone wants to hear more background on the topic, here's what's worth knowing. Apparently, Rod has some back issues and Mario took the sturdier press box chair first, which led to something of a scuffle and all the things you've already read about. The fact that the two of them had a relationship that ranged from "not friends" to "openly hostile" was a frequent topic in some of the more salacious corners of Detroit sports media, particularly once Fox Sports Detroit started shuffling the proverbial deck from time to time (Mario switching booths with the eminently talented radio guy Dan Dickerson, a rotation of color guys including Kirk Gibson and Jack Morris, etc.) A college friend who is in radio down that way claims that Mario was a fastidious prep guy and Rod was, well, not. When Rod started out in the Tigers booth, he just filled air with folksiness and minimal actual knowledge, attempting to get by on the street cred acquired by his 27 April ABs for the 1984 Tigers. During the high times for the Tigers in the early part of this decade, Rod had gotten good to the point of being downright watchable, but I suspect that as the team's fortune's dipped, so did his motivation. (I've been a Tigers fan all my life and I don't think I've watched two consecutive innings of a Tigers game since the World Cup started in June, which was right about when regression kicked in for that truly abysmal roster).

For all I know, Mario could have been a prick too, but I was rather surprised to see them take both parties, so to speak, especially since Mario is local (grew up in the suburbs, went to MSU, etc.) There are a few guys floating around in the bullpen. I hope they don't move Dickerson because he's excellent on the radio. Wouldn't mind if they just took someone fresh and paired him with, I dunno, one of the recently retired folks from that 2000s-2010s era. There are several overachieving white guys who could fill that role, the Andy Dirkses and Don Kellys of the world. Hell, if Granderson hangs them up, they'd take him to the booth in a palanquin.

We'll always have this moment, though:

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Too bad George Kell is dead and Al Kaline is in his 80s. THAT's Tiger baseball to me (though when I was a kid, I remember them shuffling guys like Larry Osterman and Joe Pellegrino in and out until finally settling on George and Al).

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If they want a booth that will continue the tradition of fighting in the press box, Bobby Higginson should be the color analyst.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I remember when Mike Sweeney charged the mound after he was hit by Jeff Weaver
    The Royals bench cleared
    The only Tiger who came out to help Weaver was Robert Fick

Draft saved Draft deleted