1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting in professional sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wisportswriter, Dec 19, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because in other sports the fans aren't as close to the field/court/ice as they are in basketball.

Meanwhile, while everybody is raising a fuss about the Knicks-Nuggets brawl, Tank Johnson gets arrested on 6 counts of illegal weapons possession for having a small arsenal in his house, his body guard (why the fuck does an NFL lineman need a body guard?) gets shot at 3 a.m. Saturday outside some thug club...and the Bears say, oh yeah, he's playing Sunday. We don't think he did anything wrong.

Nine Bengals players have been arrested this season ... I believe 8 of them were playing last night.

Why do the NFL criminals skate while NBA players who have an on-court fight get cruicified?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent point, especially for the goofball who did bring race into this.

I agree that the Tank Johnson situation is a lot more disturbing than the Knicks-Nuggets brawl. Though I do understand the bodyguard thing. I think you might need somebody just to keep yourself out of fights and other problematic situations.

Hey, Joey Porter doesn't look like somebody I'd want to mess with, either, but he sure could have used somebody watching his back when he got shot in the ass a few years back.

I'm just not sure why these things are handled so differently, except maybe the NFL's ability to control the media better than other sports.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Someone in SI (Phil Taylor maybe) went through this with the NBA getting a bad rap on this compared to the other sports. I think a big part of it is that the NBA by it's nature (or the way it's evolved - combination), is far more focused on the players individually (only 12, 5 at a time, not hats or helmets) as opposed to the team oriented NFL. If the QB gets arrested, we'll know.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

We always know who gets arrested, guy.
    The problem is the NFL doesn't do anything about it and as oop said the media has their heads up the NFL's collective ass and let's it all slide because those big bad coaches will cut off access if you write something bad about how they pander to their thugs.

Seriously, TO spitting on someone got more attention than Tank Johnson and his stash of guns. WTF?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ummm, spnited, the Bears suspended Johnson before the night club thing ever happened. He didn't play Sunday.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, doc, that's why I get for believing an ESPN report that he was going to play.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Had it been TO with the guns & Tank spitting, they'd have focused on the guns, for the same reason that PAris Hilton makes news blowing her nose, and the local murders are listed on page 25.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

TO doesn't wear underwear?

9. outofplace

Well played...though that's not a mental image any of us wanted.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because you can see all the NBA players' tattoos and cornrows!!

11. outofplace

I was trying to ignore that particular post.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There is more fighting in the NBA than there is in an NHL game these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted