1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting in hockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 1, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Actually, it has been answered just fine .

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's like I tell me oldest, you may not like the answer, but the answer was given.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Smasher, I agree with most of this. the role of the designated fighter who plays 5 minutes a game is going the way of the dinosaur, as it should. The staged fights you are talking about have no place in the game, that does not mean I thinking fighting needs to be banned. It serves a purpose for those players who can also play.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's what happens after the fights (or at least this one) that really stinks
    http://deadspin.com/5868584/

(you have to read this for yourself to believe it, so I'm not quoting any portion of it)

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My bad. I should have specified 'new answer' or 'better answer.'

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wanted to see if I could find anything that hockey's resident philosopher Ken Dryden had to say about the subject and came across this article which reminded me of something I had completely forgotten about: an eighteen man roster back in the Golden Era When Men were Men

http://www2.macleans.ca/tag/ken-dryden/

Dryden:

Once, hockey players did their own fighting. An elbow to the nose or a slash on the arm, and β€” big or small, good fighter or not β€” a player had to right his own wrong. Most players were bad fighters. On their skates, they wrestled, slipped, and flung themselves around. It was vaudeville. Now most fights are between designated fighters. Each such fighter knows what he’s doing, and though usually well-matched enough to be able to protect themselves, these fighters are also skilled enough to hurt each other.

As numerous people have pointed out, the designated good position will go, a casualty of the salary cap. Can't be soon enough.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are the expert, aren't you?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not at all.

But I haven't heard an answer yet on this thread that I haven't been hearing for forty years, either.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

You don't deserve one.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, there's advancing the discourse. Great 100th post, jackoff.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted