1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting a Ticket

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 19, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nope. $96 ticket, $19.50 in state taxes.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have learned from personal experience that righteous indignation is not an affirmative defense. Neither is, "I wasn't driving that fast."

Get the lawyer. You'll make the money back by saving on insurance.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Uhhhhhh... isn't that cheap as shit? How fast were you going?

The only one I've actually had to pay out here in Cali was almost three times that amount.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was doing 60 in a 40. So no, not cheap as shit. The only other one I've gotten was like $75.

Then again, you also brag about going like 20 over the speed limit on the regular. So maybe that has something to do with it.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dude, given your past posts, you drive like a fucking madman. Be lucky you still have a license or you're not dead.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As someone who just had to do traffic school on Saturday -- and someone who has gone to court to fight a ticket -- I really wouldn't bother with the "He misspelled the street name!" defense. If anything, it's just going to piss off the judge.

You admit you broke the law, so go in and plead guilty and hope the judge goes easy on you. He or she will probably at least reduce the fine. Or, if you have the option, do traffic school. But don't bother with the misspelled name thing. Most cops can't spell for shit.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If they cite the wrong statute, you could probably get off scot free. Misspellings and other minor BS won't get the ticket thrown out.

As far as the speed cameras go -- pay up, bitch!! Cleveland needs the cash. But the constitutionality of the cameras has recently been argued in front of the Ohio Supreme Court with a ruling due soon.

8. boots

boots New Member

In some places that's a reckless driving charge.

9. I got busted running a red light a 3 or 4 years ago during football preview time when I'd been at the office for 10 hours. The light was less than a mile from my house and I swear to God it was yellow when I went under it. To make matters worse, the cop pulls me over at the entrance to my neighborhood, my wife and then 3 year old daughter come home and my little girl is wondering why the policeman has Daddy pulled over. I was pissed.

Anyway, I called the sister paper to the one I worked at in my hometown (I worked 25 miles from home at a different paper owned by the same company), found out the cops' reporter's name and found out who the solicitor general was. I then called this guy, said I got his name from so-and-so at the Daily Chronicle, told him where I worked, told him I didn't run the red light and was thinking about fighting it (like I had a chance in hell). He gave me a deal some of the others talked about on this thread: Reduction to "Driving too fast for conditions" which comes with no points and $100 off the price of the ticket (~$100 fine instead of $200). So the moral of my story, call the DA or whoever ahead of time and try to plea down over the phone (using your newspaper credentials/friends he might know at the paper or whatever to your advantage if you wish).

That incident changed the way I look at yellow lights! I usually just slow down now, just in case.

Draft saved Draft deleted