1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting a Ticket

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

"Man, fuck the po-lice!"

2. boots

boots New Member

take it like a man!

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

brutal.

sounds like a case of simple math. assuming you live in a major city where you can find a traffic ticket clinic to take the case for $99 or so and get the thing reduced by about half, then fight it. just make sure the lawyer assures you he'll get something knocked off because the last thing you need is to be out $400 plus the cost of fighting it.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes you can fight and win. If there's a blatant error on the ticket, it's a slam dunk.

Four years ago, I received a ticket for not yielding to a cop who had pulled someone else over, even though the cop failed to recognize the moron who was going 15 mph slower and had pulled over into the lane I was in. It startled me when this idiot did it, and I instinctively moved to the rightside lane. Cop didn't want to hear an excuse, wrote me a $250 ticket. Well, after carefully scanning the ticket, I looked up the statute number he said I broke. He wrote down the wrong number. I prepared my case and was ready to slam the cop in court, but he didn't show up and the case was thrown out.

You don't need a traffic lawyer for this one. Get to court, get the cop on the stand, and pull out a map of the intersection he said you ran the stop sign. Tell him to point to the intersection where you ran the stop sign. When he points it out, mention that on the ticket he wrote down a different street, one that doesn't exist in that area. Then the cop's credibility is toast, and the case should be thrown out.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Do you have to sign a ticket? Because I got one last weekend, but he never had me sign it. So where it says I will appear in court or pay the fine, there's no sign I ever got it.

It was also a rental car. Do I still need to pay this thing? It's out of state, obviously.

6. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I always fight them. 9 times out of 10 they are fine with you paying the fine, possibly even a reduction in the fine, and giving you no points. If this is your first ticket, be sure to tell the judge that. And be sure to say you are sorry and it won't happen again.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, my bad. I just re-read the back. I sign the bottom part when I pay. Fuck.

Oh well. $115 out the window.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

If you're going to toss $115 out the window, IJAG, put $50 on a five-team parlay and $50 on a five-team six-point tease. Makes football more interesting, and there's a chance you might get some coin back.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, but then I get arrested next time I go to that state.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I can't tell you how many of those speeding-camera tickets I got when I lived out west. Even if the fine was $40 a pop. How was there proof I was driving? There I was in each picture that came with the ticket, grinning like a fool while singing along to some song on the radio. Dammit.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tell the judge you were racing home because a friend, distraught that he couldn't become a banker, was going to commit suicide.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow ... $115? No diversion program you can enter to wipe the ticket off your record?

Draft saved Draft deleted