1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fight! Do you report it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Nov 20, 2009.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, if it's a planned story...you need to follow-up with the coach and the player you believe is involved to get more information on the matter/confrontation.

2. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

In a case like this, I might or might not report it, depending on the particulars, but yeah, everything is on the record unless you agree it's not.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree. If I am interviewing someone and that person wants to go off the record, then it is stated as such. Otherwise, it's on the record.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the further topic of coaches yelling at players -- I agree that it's not necessarily a big deal, especially in some sports.

Ever watch a basketball practice? Coaches yell at players throughout the practice.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is your correct answer. Overall, it looks to be just another case of a blogger trying to make a name for himself by calling out a professional reporter.

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Ace,

I agree with you completely on these posts. Unless something of note happens after the argument (ie: star player gets in shouting match with the coach during half time and is benched) it's a non-story and certainly not worth the potential burning of bridges.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It works both ways. I think some reporters are too reluctant to get into negative stories because of the hassle, the reaction, etc.

But this kind of thing is not that unusual as to warrant reporting most of the time. Methinks.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Its worth investigating at least.
    Ask the coach: "I was outside and heard a loud discussion with what I assume is a player. I heard you refer to him as "selfish." Do you care to comment on who it was you were speaking with and why you were calling him selfish?"

Depending on what you get, its either a story or a note. But reporters tip-toeing around coaches and athletes for fear of making them mad drives me nuts.

Have the balls to let the coach know what you are going to report, and give him the opportunity to clarify or not.
    Show him that respect, and he might actually respect what you do for living.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think we are too much in an ESPN mindset where we have to report on every small detail to fill an inch count. I would say that in most high school football games I've covered, the coach has yelled at a kid at some point in the game. Our jobs as reporters is not only to report what happens, but also to filter out stuff that doesn't matter.

Or do we really want to read 30-inch school board stories that report on what's new with the school menu, and who introduced and seconded every motion?

Maybe readers just want straight play-by-play with no context?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a judgment call.

Dater did nothing wrong.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He's always on the record when he knows there's a journalist in the room. Should he assume there's always a reporter in his presence around the clock, because you never know? That'll make for some interesting interactions going forward.

Oh, Jenny, off the record, you were the best I've ever had!

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Really? He uses quotes in a situation where the coach didn't realize there was a reporter present to allow him to make on/off-the-record declarations, doesn't follow through on it and by his own admiission does his reporting based on hearsay. And you don't think he did anything wrong?

Journalists don't get on a cross to die for my sins. They're not perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted