1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifth-worst job: Newspaper reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In the 1980s the Newspaper Guild's newsletter republished a British study that said newspaper copy editors ranked No. 3 in job stress behind prison guards and coal miners. I'm not sure how accurate that ranking, or this one, could possibly be.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's exactly my feeling. I meet tons of high school kids who think they want to get into the business. I tell their parents to make sure and encourage a backup plan because otherwise they're going to be providing a place to live for a long time post-college, and quite a bit of monetary support for their grandchildren.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF?

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so what does this mean for bcs bowl eligibility?

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nailed it.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Especially since most shoemakers (with the exception of any kin of the legendary jockey) are about 10 years old, get pennies an hour and live in China or Vietnam ...

7. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

I have a hard time believing my job is more than 100 spots worse than receptionist or brick mason.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The list really is a crock of horseshit, clearly. Almost none of the other jobs in the bottom 20 include people making nearly as much as top-level reporters for major newspapers. And almost none of the other jobs offer the opportunity to rise to higher levels in the field the way journalism does.

But these lists are conceived purely to generate hits. It served its purpose.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Journalism offers a chance to rise to higher levels in the field? Who knew?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if you "rise" - more like you stay in place while everyone else around you gets sacked/bought out and you end having to do their job as well.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can definitely rise on your merits in this industry, at least more than you can as a dishwasher. I know it's difficult, but I also know I have done it and so have many people I know. It's not always the result of talent, but I'd have to think talent is a bigger aspect than those dishwashers who move up to the four-star restaurant.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Has it really come to this?

None of the other jobs on this list typically require the investment of a university degree, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted