1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifteen Years Ago Today...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Rambler

Rambler Member

One of my prized possessions is the first National cover with Michael Jordan on it. Signed by Jordan and Frank Deford.

I have the Ewing and Magic Johnson ones as well and someday I'd like to get them signed...

2. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

For those who have discussed why The National didn't make it.... Why was USA Today able to make it while The National was not? It seems like the same concept to me, but maybe I am just being simple-minded.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ding!

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

USA Today, first and foremost, has a solid and proven distribution system.
    USA Today, also comes with those pesky other sections people read: News, Money, Travel, Life, Tech and Weather. The National was a supplement for the news connoisseur.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Michael, I'm not saying you're wrong, but where oh where would the money have come from to underwrite such an enterprise?

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Chazp, enough with your dredge project.

Stick to the here and now, youngster.

This board is a daily, if you haven't figured that out by now.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I saw this thread and thought it would be about the last real edition of the Pittsburgh Press -- then I realized we'd missed that 15th anniversary by about two weeks.
    Hard to believe it's been that long.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Whoa. That means something to me. I graduated high school on the day the last National came out. Which means I graduated high school 16 years ago. Holy fuck what a disappointment I've become.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Besides getting drunk with my friends, one of the pleasures of going to Indiana University when I was at Ball State was to pick up The National (which wasn't available in cosmopolitan Muncie).

Fantastic paper. It would be great to get an internet version of it going today. I think it would work very well.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Pretty old thread to be answering, but Ostler indeed wrote the Strother piece, to support 21's memory of a year ago.

Unlike some who benefitted from openings created by people leaving for the National, I kind of had the opposite experience. When the National folded, it threw a bunch of extremely talented people back into the pool. I was up for a job at the time, and one of those now available -- and supremely qualified -- got it instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted