1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifteen Years Ago Today...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 13, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because they never figured out how to get it distributed across the country in a timely, cost-effective manner.
    Great product that you just couldn't get in some places.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's Point A and probably the main reason.

The other small factor: Not enough people had the time for such a product every day. I loved The National but it was like getting an SI every day and I hardly have time for them once a week.

One hell of a collection of talent, that's for sure.

3. I thought this thread would be about Atlee Hammaker taking the loss in the Padres' 12-1 loss to the Cardinals. (Really did happen!)

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

who wrote the strother column?

a former co-worker has a national newspaper box. he told the owner of a liquor store he would remove it, and the store's manager said no problem. i trust the guy still has the box.

after leaving my apartment on the way to class in college, my first stop was at said liquor store to buy the national. reading that was an important part of my journalism education.

there's a thread somewhere here (i think it still exists) listing all the talent that worked at the national. the thread also had some other great info on the national, too.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's in a box with other memorabiliaand I cant get at it right now, but I want to say it was Scott Ostler

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And your second stop? IN the liquor store to help you get through class?? :D

Threads are only as far back as April or so - not sure if that National thread still exists.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Great product, bad business model. One of the best hires I ever made was of a former editor at the National. After that experience, he just wanted to edit stories and did a damn good job of it.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I never read The National during its 18-month run — only because I was still in elementary school and didn't really care much about sports other than watching games or TV, or going to the stadium, with my Dad, and because I had even less appreciation for the written word — but I wish I had.

For those who would like to reflect a bit, here's a story from the April 1990 issue of Inc. Magazine about The National's launch. Interesting what Brian Toolan, then the AME of the Philly Daily News, had to say; kind of prophetic, too.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

well, a little shot of ameretto in my morning coffee never hurt.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I believe Scott Ostler wrote the Shelby column. :'( (I could be wrong, but I don't think I am).

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just like to point out 21 made the 21st post here.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The National came to Toronto in Sept. 1990 even though it didn't have any Canadian content that I could recall. I was working in the city at the time and picked it up every morning at a newsstand in Union Station after I got off the train. Sometimes it was a day old but that didn't matter, I'd still pour over it on my lunch hour and finish it on the way home.

I was in Vegas for Douglas-Holyfield the next month and thought it was so cool I could buy one out of a box on a corner. I still have a couple of them in a box here somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted