1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifteen years ago today, O.J. and A.C. went for a little ride

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I was doing my occasional Friday night shift for the Daily Journal in Franklin, Ind. I just returned to the office from picking up police and fire reports, appropriately enough, when one of the nicest people and greatest names I've ever worked with, Rev Mengle, pointed my direction to the TV he had on at the end of the copy desk. Thankfully, it wasn't a busy night.

Also, I believe David Hasselhoff had some PPV special that night that was completely obliterated by OJ, not that too many people outside Germany were shelling out for a Hoff PPV.

2. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I never understood NBC's decision to go split-screen with the chase.
    All it did was piss off the people who were trying to watch an NBA Finals game. I always assumed the people who wanted to watch the chase would have switched to a channel that was playing it full-screen anyway.
    So what was the point?

Anyway, what a bizzarre scene. And the fact that the legendary legal team of Darden and Clark didn't feel the need to bring up the chase during the trial still baffles me.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My dad was screaming at the tv to kill him so the game could be put back on.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That was when I still cared about the NBA. Strangely, I was trying to watch the game ... a desire which NBC had no respect for.

Foreshadowed years of disappointment from the Peacock Network.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

On the 405 heading to Lego Land.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was eight years old. Wow, could it have been that long ago?

My brother and I were watching World Cup games — they were playing some at the Pontiac Silverdome. Parents made us change the station. Maybe it was a qualifier game or something. I don't know. I was 8.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was in Dallas, getting ready to go to the Cotton Bowl to watch a World Cup game between Spain and South Korea. My buddy and I were in our hotel room and we were laughing about what was being described as a "high-speed chase."

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If this is the 15th anniversary of the OJ chase that means tomorrow is my sister's wedding anniversary.

I was in a bar having lunch when the LAPD spokesman announced they were "actively seeking Mr. Simpson." The "are you fucking kidding me" reaction from the gathered media was priceless.

My brother and I were getting running updates from the guys back in the kitchen during the rehearsal dinner that night. I still give my sister grief about the fact that I never forget her anniversary because she got married the day after O.J. got nabbed.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I was actually IN the Bronco. AC calls me and asks if I want to give OJ a ride to the airport......sure.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"We otay for now"

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Last day of school for the underclassmen, and I went to see Speed with one of my friends. We got out around 10 and went to a TGI Friday's to grab something to eat before a grad party, and on the TVs is the L.A. Freeway. We say to each other, "Why did we just pay 5 bucks when we could have watched Speed here?" Anyhow, the waiter tells us it's the OJ chase. First grad party we go to, one of the moms opens the door, hands us wine coolers and tells us, "Go downstairs and watch the chase! This is so exciting!" About 50 people at this grad party were almost silent, watching the chase go down.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I slept through it. Probably because I wasn't nearly as fascinated by it as the rest of the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted