1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifteen years ago today (July 27, 1996)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Jul 27, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Centennial Park Bombing.

Some crazy stuff reported in the immediate aftermath, as I recall.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was spending the night in Meridian, Mississippi that night on my way to Atlanta for the second week of the Games. Can't believe it's been 15 years.

Went to bed early and didn't know about the bombing til I woke up the next morning and flipped on the TV. Remember stopping at a convenience store somewhere in Alabama and the clerk telling me "be careful" when I mentioned I was heading to Atlanta. Reason it even came up was that she asked if I was headed to Talladega for the race that was going on that weekend.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Was in Centennial Park about 15 minutes before the bombing. Me and a buddy had no place to stay and were going to sleep in my car. I recognized a friend from law school at the Park and he offered to let us stay at his uncle's place in the suburbs. We heard the news on the ride home. Crazy.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I was dominating the summer after just graduating high school. Has anyone done a recent follow up with Richard Jewell and how that event changed his life? I can only assume something like that follows someone for a long, long, long time.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Gonna be really tough to pull that one off.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I assume these past four years the bombing hasn't weighed much on Jewell's mind since he died in 2007.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So the answer is, no?

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yikes ... I didn't realize he died. But I'm assuming he died a rich man, considering he sued everyone under the sun.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He actually died with little, IIRC.

AP talked to him in 2006.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-23-jewell-remembers_x.htm

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'll bet mrbio could get him.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Atlanta Magazine recently did an incredible follow-up story on it. Here's a link to a sample of it: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/features/Story.aspx?id=1451665

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

HejiraHenry was there and has a pretty interesting story about it. If he's around, he'll drop by and tell it.

Draft saved Draft deleted