1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fields of Screams: 2017 youth baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 20, 2016.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Songbird, your story makes me sort of glad that my 7-year-old daughter shows no interest whatsoever in sports. I'm afraid I'd have to beat the shit out of some of the parents -- and take pleasure in doing so.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Coach Eric likes to give the kids 20 oz. Gatorades for a water break. My kid guzzled down the whole damn thing. And now he's bouncing off the walls (we usually only let him have one watered-down juice a day). I think I'm going to suggest that maybe he invest in the 8oz bottles of G2, which have far less sugar and are a better serving size for kids.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Water, pern. Water is all they need. Almost nobody in the world needs Gatorade. Elite-level athletes and those with diabetic conditions, but that's about it.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Guzzling 16-ouncer with two ibuprofens before bedtime is a surefire way to stave off "the morning after" though.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An excellent point.

OK, superstars, those in diabetic shock, and drunks.

Huggy and doctorquant like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So what y'all are saying then, even though it's a baseball/softball thread, orange slices for everyone!

7. bigpern23

Agreed, but since I'm apparently the only parent who has even thought twice about this, I'll suggest scaling back the sugar, rather than telling everyone their kids shouldn't have it at all (although I think your approach is best).

Bought a dozen of the small G2 bottles today. I'll talk to the coach at Opening Day tomorrow.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

For the first time this year we have three, yes three, freaking kids playing rec baseball. No way of avoiding multiple game and practice conflicts with that crap going on. This time for the first time our leage is doing some tiered times of games. Used to be every single game started at 6. Now they bounce around from 5 all the way until 7:30 every day of the week.

We have two games every Monday and Thursday. I was hoping with the new times we'd maybe have some of those games where we could catch both. Nope. All but one of those is at the same time. You couldn't bet on that. Oh well, maybe less running around. Probably not. At least we don't ever have three games at once. I was sure that would happen.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Opening Day doubleheader.

We open against the team we almost beat in the final game of last season, our best game.

We have 9 players, but just 8 available till the little shortie gets clearance (Clarence) from a growth plate issue.

10. Songbird

We won our first game 13-9. Played great. Our 7th grader hit 3 3-run homers.

So happy for the girls who went winless last year and had to deal with awful coaches before they quit and I took over.

Second game in 2 hours.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Songbird

Lost our second game 14-13 ... on time. Game ended with us having a runner on second and one out.

Because it's Opening Day and everyone plays 2 games they put a strict 75-minute limit on each game.

The other team won its first game 19-0 so the fact we took 'em to the limit is really encouraging.

The ump is ASA certified -- for men's league -- and was squeezing the ever living shit out of the strike zone. These are 11- and 12-year-old girls.

That said, it was a great Opening Day for Team Songbird. And, we have to work on some things.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  12. bigpern23

Opening Day ... Gotta love it. The kids marched in a parade down a main drag to the best field in our town, and my guy's tee ball team was first in the procession. He was hamming it up, waving to everyone and he skipped a little bit when they announced his name as he entered the field.

Best part was watching him play with his teammates - tracing numbers on each other's backs, picking up worms, throwing grass at each other. But every once in a while, he'd look over, catch me watching him and give a big smile and a wave. Great day.

Draft saved Draft deleted