1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Field of 64 (Seinfeld wins it! Seinfeld wins it! Oh my God, Seinfeld wins it!!!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 29, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A comment from Zeke on the classic novels thread got me thinking about this. Sports talk radio where I grew up used to come up with fields of 64 all the time, on a variety of subjects, and let callers vote on each individual matchup until there was only one left standing. Could be best movie of all time, best TV show of all time, best QB of all time, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing it here. I'd volunteer to do the leg work, but the field of participants would have to be limited as it was in Sheep (along with a hard deadline) and it would have to be a subject I'm familiar with.

So, anyone up for it?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Field of 64

We had Soda Wars once. It failed miserably. :D

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

We did it with SportsJournalists.com posters for several years as well--I think it was a Songbird project.

I love the idea--can only imagine some of the posts when the fur flies on a best album, best TV show (Slot Seinfeld against the Simpsons in a regional), best movie.

I know my appearances here can be spotty, but count me in.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

ESPN did a funny movie bracket. Boy howdy did it suck. You think you bitch about the basketball seedings and picks, well I'm not sure that the NCAA of comedies wouldn't be fourth behind the NIT, CBI and CIT.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gone with the Wind.

No need for the bracket.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I was the Kevin Stallings of the SJ posters bracket.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Nope. Casablanca. Because we'll always have Paris.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Best play of all-time?

All the nice sports plays(well most of them) are on youtube.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Vulture just did this for the best TV show of all time, and the finals came down to The Wire and The Sopranos. It was really good.

What I think would be great is if you had someone designated to argue on behalf of each thing in the brackets. Otherwise, if it's just a vote, big deal. But if some presents one side, someone else the other, then people chime in on both sides to determine a winner of each "game", you've got a great thread.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not surprised. Wasn't even the best movie of that year.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

IF we can get this rolling, I'd be in to participate.

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

That's a weird list. Richard Petty winning the first "nationally televised" Daytona 500, for example, isn't even in the same league as the 1979 Daytona 500 ("and there's a fight!"). Or even Petty getting his 200th win in the 1984 Firecracker 400 with President Reagan in attendance/flying overhead on Air Force One.

Draft saved Draft deleted