1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIBA Americas Championship (Olympic Basketball Qualifier)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 23, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It's a lack of sportsmanship if you've got a 75-point lead and you've still got your foot on the gas.

Look, I love a good ass-kicking as much as the next guy, but I just don't see anything wrong with the beatings the DT put on the rest of the world.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't either.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think the point that Starman and Chucky are missing is that the rest of the world has gotten better since 1992.

In '92, the best non-American in the league was Drazen Petrovic. Now, the league's best players--Nash, Nowitzki, Ming--aren't Americans. We focus on throwing down showy dunks. The rest of the world focuses on playing great team basketball. Until USA Basketball works on getting back to fundamentals and team basketball, the rest of the world will continue to beat us in international competitions.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Argentina won't be tough in this because they already qualified for the Olympics, and therefore none of their top players are playing in this tournament.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

We should just give every team a trophy for showing up.

But seriously, why does anyone care about anything in sports? It's just kinda the way things are. I won't jump off a bridge if the US doesn't qualify for the Olympics, but I would like to see the team do well.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

That is my point, Boobie.
    It ainlt life and death, it's basketball.
    Some of these idiots need to chill a little.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Preeeeee-cisely.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

C'mon, sp. Let people get passionate about something if they want to. It's not hurtin' anything. Not as if they'd be curing world hunger if they weren't busy rooting for the USA to win.

By the way ... that IS one stunning starting lineup they're putting out there this week: LeBron/Kobe/Carmelo/Kidd/Howard. And Redd playing out of his mind from the perimeter, Amare Stoudamire dominant when he comes in ...

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Passionate is one thing shotty, Starman's moronic rantings about beating teams into submission are quite something else.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Our guys are bigger, faster and stronger than the other team. When The USA plays defense at top speed for the entire game and uses a deep bench, they should be almost impossible to beat.

95 percent of other countries should not be able to even set up any form of an offense against us. If our guys had the mindset of playing balls out D (press or a lockdown, ball-deny man forcing turnovers and creating fast breaks) for 5-7 minutes then getting a break from the bench, we should be unbeatable.

I know the other teams have good players, but no one can put five solid ball handlers on the floor at all times. especially when they start reaching into the bench.

No country should shoot more than 40 percent from the field against us.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The second you start worrying about the other team's feelings is the second you stop worrying about winning.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Panama beats Mexico 95-90 in the first game today. Nolan Richardson looks really old.

Draft saved Draft deleted