1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIBA Americas Championship (Olympic Basketball Qualifier)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://www.2007lasvegas.fibaamericas.com/

Not sure how much interest there is in this but I thought I'd start the topic.

Top two teams earn a trip to the Olympics next year. Teams 3-5 qualify for a last chance Olympic qualifier next year.

Pool A
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    Panama
    Puerto Rico
    Mexico

Pool B
    USA
    Canada
    Brazil
    Venezuela
    U.S. Virgin Islands

Play started yesterday

Kobe, LeBron and Co. torched Venezuela 112-69 in their opener and play the poor defenseless USVI tonight.

Mexico, coached by Nolan Richardson, whacked Puerto Rico in its opener. Uruguay beat Panama and Brazil beat Canada.

Argentina is currently drilling Uruguay in the first game today.

Argentina's missing most of it's top players. Brazil is too. This should be a walkover for the U.S. but the Worlds should have been too.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Brazil has Nene, Barbosa and Tiago Splitter. I'd say they can survive without Varejao.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Argentina rolled Uruguay and Canada beat Venezuela in the afternoon session.

Puerto Rico plays Panama in the opener of the evening session.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I realize the Canadians chances are very slim to medal at the tournament, although they should advance out of their pool, but what would happen to their chances if Steve Nash was on the court for them?

BTW I do realize the chances of him playing internationally again are next to nil at the best.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know people are going to call me a fan boy for this but US + Kobe= tournament winner. Argentina might be tough, but the US should take care of business(I know, you've heard this before but they're really[i/] good right now).

P.S. Samuel Dalembert plays for Canada as well.

6. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Carmello Anthony is goooood.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Whoopdee-fucking-doo. We've beaten Venezuela and now whipping the Virgin Islands. Winning this tournament (not a given) means shit. I want Olympic gold.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't mean "shit."

To win Olympic gold, the U.S. has to take the attitude that it is going to fucking destroy anybody and everybody who gets in its way. Including Venezuela, the Virgin Islands, Canada and Brazil.

The reason we lose is that for 15 years now (yes, starting with the sainted Dream Team, which in hard fact, ridiculously underachieved, walking through its games at half-speed), the objective of USA Basketball has been to see just how lazily and unagressively our teams can get away with playing, and still have a chance to win.

For 15 years, we've acted like we don't really care if we win FIBA zone tournaments, we've acted like we don't really care if we win the Pan Ams, we've acted like we don't care if we win the World University Games, we've acted like we don't really care if we win the World Championships, and we've acted like we don't really care if we win the Olympics. It's time to start acting like we care again, and not being satisfied unless we utterly blast all challengers completely off the court.

9. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

UNDERACHIEVED!?!?!?!? How?!?!?! The greatest basketball team ever assembled underachieved?!?!?! What did you want them to do? Win every game 200-0?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Somebody please tell me why it is so important that we blow everybody off the court in a basketball tournament?
    Are we really so insecure that we need to get off on a fucking meaningless basketball tournament?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're right, doc. Only morans really get worked up about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted