1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FHRITP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 13, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First Amendment right to free speech.

Yes, there are private consequences to that. But the employee is only paid for their time that they are working. What they do off the clock is not the employer's business. If the employer considers them a representative of the company when they're supposed to be off the clock, then they should be paying them for that time.

Put it another way: You root for a certain NHL team and buy tickets to see them play. Your employer doesn't like that team, and likes the rival team instead. Employer says, don't go to the game, or you're fired, because someone could see you at the game and think the employer likes that team too. You're good with that?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have a good friend who works for a big, big Anheuser-Busch distributor. I'd guess he pulls down $200K+ ... If someone at his firm saw him drinking a Coors Light, he'd be fired by the next morning.

He really needs to talk to his firm about overtime.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is the unintended consequence (albeit a positive one) to the social media age. Some level of accountability when people recklessly violate social norms. I welcome this.

Remember 20 years ago, when some Jets fans were throwing snowballs at Giants Stadium? One, I believe, hit an opposing trainer or assistant coach. Even that pre-social media age, people were able to identify the guy.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I know someone who is a GM at a Pepsi bottling plant, same thing. But a low level employee shouldn't be held to that standard. You want loyalty, you pay for it.

But FHRITP like nigger is a firing offense. And fuck FSU Tampa and the NFL for Jameis.

5. Baron Scicluna

See, I can understand firing someone for using a racist, or sexist, or homophobic term off the clock, because that could be considered harassment with co-workers. In that case, the business does have an underlying legal reason to fire someone, because they could be subject to a lawsuit by other employees. But mere embarrassment shouldn't fly.

6. Baron Scicluna

Yes, he should. He's off company time.

Just like if a newspaper journalist decides to buy a copy of another newspaper at the store, or even subscribe to it.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Uh, this isn't?

How do you think the guy's female co-workers would feel trying to dodge all those vibrators headed for their ears whenever he's around?

8. Baron Scicluna

There are other situations in which people are getting fired for things that wouldn't be harassment in the workplace

Here's one who was fired from Subway because he posted a dumb Facebook comment celebrating the death of the two cops in Mississippi. Now, in this moron's case, he was wearing the Subway uniform while he posted it. People may think the company may endorse his stance. Firing justified.

Mississippi Subway employee fired after celebrating Hattiesburg police deaths on Facebook | Fox News

And here's a teacher, a vegan, who was fired for making a Facebook post criticizing how baby calves are treated. The superintendent told him they lived in a farming community, and that people were offended. The got the ACLU on his side and sued to get his job back and back wages.

Vegan teacher fired over post on Facebook | KFOR.com

The school settled with him. Firing unjustified.

Green Local School District Settles Lawsuit From Teacher Fired Over Anti-Dairy Farm Facebook Post | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog | Cleveland Scene

9. LongTimeListener

This is the point where you've lost all fucking clue of what this thread is about.

JC likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Actually, it's precisely about what the original story is. Did you read the original story?

It's about how the guy made a sexist comment and was fired. But it's also about how social media has reduced privacy, and how employers are increasingly firing employees for doing something they consider embarrassing. This may be over your head a bit, but there is a difference between doing something that can be considered legal harassment, and doing something merely considered embarrassing.

To use Doc's example earlier, a Busch employee has a pic taken of him and put on Facebook of him holding a Coors Light? Fireable offense? Unless he has a contract, the answer should be, no. He's off the clock.

Or, to use another similar example, would Pizza Hut be justified for firing a teenage employee if the kid goes to McDonald's with friends and has a picture taken with them with Big Macs on their table? Yes or no?

11. LongTimeListener

I love this world you love in. However, you should recall that the answer, in fact, is yes, he would be fired.

All right, you've sufficiently missed the point. I'm satisfied.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Captain Analogy is not disappointing on this thread.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted