1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FHRITP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 13, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Both of which are related to alleged off the clock behavior.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Think I may go lead an anti-immigration rally. Not because I'm anti-immigration, but because it just sounds fun. I'm sure my employer won't mind, but even it does, fuck 'em ... I'm off the clock!

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fuck him in the ass.

He should have gotten a union job with a contract which gave him specific protection and an appeals/grievance process for situations like this.

Otherwise, at-will employment.

Fuck him in the ass. Hasta la vista, fucknuts.

4. doctorquant

LOL Starman ... never get bogged down with facts. This story's from Canada ... at-will employment does not exist in Canada.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think he is union, even if he's not, you can get fired up here for just about anything these days.

If he is union, they'll grieve and likely win but the fuckheads name will always be mud.

6. Baron Scicluna

Precisely.

I'm sure if there was an issue that you truly cared about, and wanted to protest, you wouldn't like it if your employer told you that you weren't allowed to, upon penalty of firing, just because they disagreed with you.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And when the boycotts of that business start, what do you think happens to DQ's job?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This article answers the union mon union question in regards to this case. You're fucked if you're non-union.

The Toronto Star

9. Baron Scicluna

The boycotts end when the employer announces that, while he disagrees with his employee, his employee has a Constitutional right to his opinion, and is allowed to do what they want when they are off the clock. The protesters move on to the next cause of the moment within a week.

Or, if it's that important to the employer, make a contract with the employee that spells everything out, including what is or is not permitted during off-the clock hours. But that might mean some negotiation on the employer's part.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good lord Baron, wake up.

Show me this constitutional right you speak of.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In this day and age, if you do that shit in front of TV cameras (or on social media) you're getting fired. And deservedly so.

12. doctorquant

DQ is tenured at a state university, so his job will be OK for awhile ... But only until such time as the Kafkaesque machinery he'd encounter got kicked into full gear. I can assure you, however, that if it came down to a conflict between DQ's free speech rights and his university's interests ... well, we know which one's coming out on top.

Draft saved Draft deleted