1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FGCU's Enfield may have embellished his business background

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Apparently he WASN'T the co-founder of a start-up company that was valued at $100 million when he left it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130325/andy-enfield-florida-gulf-coast/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: FCGU's Enfield may have embellished his business background

You're making yourself dumber with every post on every thread.

Based on the article in question, he never said he co-founded the company. He said he helped build a company. As he was one of the first 10 employees for a company that is now worth hundreds of dollars -- and he put his own money into it -- that seems accurate.

And he's actually worth MORE than he's letting on? The company is worth maybe $400 million instead of $100 million? Oh heavens me!

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Way to read deeply into the story. It's people like you that make online news and opinion suck.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think this was a matter of the initial story - him leaving a highly successful software company to realize his dream of being a basketball coach - being horribly inflated and overstated by others.

The stuff about him co-founding this company and him having a net worth in the nine figures seemed to all come from other people, not him or FGCU or anyone who would actually know.

Probably as far from a T'eo story as you can get.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Even the author of the story, Tim Layden, tweeted that "Purpose of my story was to clarify, not to impugn."

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I didn't think that was possible.

7. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

What I meant was he could have fact-checked people and let them know they were wrong on things instead of letting invalid facts stand for four days.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Doesn't he have better things to do? Why should he give a half-shit about "fact-checking" anyone? He had nothing to do with these "invalid facts".

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not wearing new shoes while reading this thread ... it's getting piled higher.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is going to be a problem for, as it says in the thread title, Florida Coast Gulf University.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Non story.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is crazy how he's done nothing these four days when he could have been busy clarifying facts.

What's he been doing these last four days?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.