1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fewer days or fewer pages?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's easier to cut national/regional and local should always come first, but not everyone has the staff or events going on to have all local fronts all year round.
    There is only so much local stuff most places can do in the summer with high schools and colleges dead.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

we're a small daily with AP. we go bigtime on local copy, but AP sure comes in handy when we've got bigger papers and the weekend editions. everybody is holding their breath that AP could be one of the next cuts. will be interesting to see.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Both happened recently at my shop.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For small dailies, I say cut days. I caught a daily paper in my state that ran only one local story in an eight-page A section (albeit two of those pages were op/ed pages). But still, one local story and the rest AP copy is not something that is attractive to readers and advertisers.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd rather chop Monday's paper entirely than cut pages from each day.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cutting days makes staffing easier.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Cutting pages is definitely the way to go.

You get rid of a day and you are screaming "panic" to your remaining readers, who, despite upper management's protestations otherwise, will be paying the advertising freight for at least another decade.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Allow this new guy to weigh in for fewer pages, not fewer days.

Once management decides to bag the Tuesday print edition (usually a slim day for news and advertising), it's a slippery slope until you reach the point where Detroit's dailies are at, putting out two or three print editions each week.

Remember, you can always tighten things up for the paper and put additional local stuff (notebooks, standings, stats, etc.) online.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

When we eliminated our Monday paper, current subscriptions were extended by the number of Monday that would have been remaining in the term (If you would have received 10 more Monday papers, you got 10 issues tacked on at the end).

New subscribers and those who had to renew earliest got the shaft. The rates are based on "weeks," not issues, so the price remained the same with one less issue per week. Thankfully, our circulation is handled by the people at the mother ship and not here or else I doubt we'd have had much peace here for the first 6 months (People are still asking where their Monday paper is after it was eliminated 11 months ago).

Draft saved Draft deleted