1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fever Pitch.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

What he said. Firth nails the book's character. Fallon is just a clown. I did like him in Almost Famous though.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

+1,000

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Arsenal are wankers.
    [/quote]

+10,000
    Chelsea, too
    ;D

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I haven't even seen Fever Pitch -- what, the horrible reviews weren't enough to keep you people away? -- but even independent of that, I would love to punch both Fallon and Barrymore right in the mouth.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The thing that got me to really dislike Fallon was his involvement in this, and 'Taxi' with Queen Latifah.

Originally, both movies were European, 'Taxi' a storming French movie. Here's a clip, dubbed from French into something else.

Fallon and his studio thought it would be a good idea to re-make both of them, and turn them into absolute tripe.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Fallon and Barrymore are completely unlikeable, poor actors.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

For those who like humorous books about European soccer and the fans who worship it, check out Chuck Culpepper's book Bloody Confused!

http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=77692

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Another one to check out is Twenty Two Foreigners In Funny Shorts by Pete Davies. Originally published to coincide with the 1994 World Cup. One of the best sports books I've read.

http://tinyurl.com/6eux46

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Here's the blurb for Chuck's book. (No I'm not him ... or his agent.)

Chuck Culpepper was a veteran sports journalist edging toward burnout . . . then he went to London and discovered the high-octane, fanatical (and bloody confusing!) world of English soccer.

After covering the American sports scene for fifteen years, Chuck Culpepper suffered from a profound case of Common Sportswriter Malaise. He was fed up with self-righteous proclamations, steroid scandals, and the deluge of in-your-face PR that saturated the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. Then in 2006, he moved to London and discovered a new and baffling world—the renowned Premiership soccer league. Culpepper pledged his loyalty to Portsmouth, a gutsy, small-market team at the bottom of the standings. As he puts it, “It was like childhood, with beer.”

Writing in the vein of perennial bestsellers such as Fever Pitch and Among the Thugs, Chuck Culpepper brings penetrating insight to the vibrant landscape of English soccer—visiting such storied franchises as Manchester United, Chelsea, and Liverpool . . . and an equally celebrated assortment of pubs. Bloody Confused! will put a smile on the face of any sports fan who has ever questioned what makes us love sports in the first place.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just for SJ tradition, it has to be done: Thanks for checking in, Chuck!

(and for the record, I know and like Culpepper)

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

A movie about Boston sports fans

I'm out, no way would I ever see anything that revolves around THE most annoying fans in the US

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They made a movie about Cubs fans? [/spnited]

Draft saved Draft deleted