1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fetus found in the laundry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

FREEPORT, N.Y. (AP) _ Police are trying to find out who threw the remains of a male fetus out with a Brooklyn hospital's laundry.
    A worker at the Oceanside Institutional Industries Inc. laundry service in Freeport was sorting through dirty hospital linens on Wednesday and discovered the fetus, weighing less than half a pound, wrapped in a blue hospital blanket, Nassau County police said Saturday.
    The laundry had been delivered there in a shipment from SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, police said.
    Nassau County Police Sgt. Keechant Sewell said the umbilical cord attached to the fetus was clean and had been clamped.
    The county medical examiner's office determined the fetus was from a pregnancy in its 17th to 20th weeks, couldn't have survived outside the womb, and had been delivered one or two days before it was discovered.
    Police said hospital officials and police haven't determined how the fetus was delivered, whether the mother suffered a miscarriage, or who could have disposed of it. An autopsy performed this week was inconclusive.
    "It appears that maybe somebody was embarrassed or didn't know what their options were," Nassau County Sgt. Keechant Sewell said Saturday.
    State health officials said they would await results of the police investigation. A hospital spokesman didn't return a telephone message on Saturday. The phone at the laundry service rang unanswered on Saturday.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

So sad to read about.
    Just an awful story.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't mean to make light of this, but in the interest of full disclosure, I thought this thread was about an episode of "Gunsmoke" that I missed: "Festus Found In The Laundry."

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Damnit, what the hell is wrong with people? Doesn't New York have a "no questions" policy if a mother who feels unfit brings a baby to be adopted?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not like it was a fully developed baby. It couldn't exist outside the womb.

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

My mistake. That'll learn me to skim.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Still an awful situation to hear about.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, without a doubt.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Too bad it wasn't the progeny of the Snuggles' fabric softener bear. That cute-n-cuddly animatronic's very being explains why Elvis shot so many tvs.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brings new meaning to ethnic cleansing.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm VERY thankful nobody asked if the fetus was Chinese.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Wasn't there a story in Canada of a fetus found in a restroom toilet a couple of years back?

Regardless of where any fetus is thrown, it is awful and sad when it's discovered.

Mother could have gone to a health centre or clinic to dispose of it appropriately; however, she may not have been able to afford for the procedure to be done or she may not have known where to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted