1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Protesters are walking through the streets downtown. A group just laid down in the middle of a major intersection.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hope Manziel isn't out driving.

dixiehack and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You should ALWAYS hope that.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Extended video released showing that not only did they shoot Rice in 1.5-2 seconds upon arriving at the scene (they claim they ordered him to put his hands up three times before shooting), they rendered no aid during the following four minutes (until an off-duty FBI agent showed up and administered aid) and tackled his sister to the ground as she rushed to his side, locked her in handcuffs and put her in the cruiser, where she watched Rice struggling to survive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/u...ing-did-not-give-medical-aid.html?ref=us&_r=0

7. bigpern23

Bumping this because I'm pretty disgusted these officers did nothing to render medical help to the 12-year-old boy they just shot in the gut. They just stood there watching him die and then locked up his sister for good measure. To protect and serve, my ass.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bet those cops are voting for Trump

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why couldn't the cops take the time to figure out of there really was a threat?

10. bigpern23

Kid was black. That was enough for these clowns.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The biggest problem in my opinion is that the driver of the police car drove right up to Rice, instead of being a bit further back at a standoff range. When his partner exited the police car, he was very close to Rice, within ten yards I'd say, and he couldn't even use the door of his car as protection due to the proximity of Rice. The result was that partner opened up on Rice in a couple of seconds.

I put a lot of the blame for this on the driver.

12. bigpern23

I'd put more on the Cleveland PD for hiring Loehmann (the shooter) in the first place, without doing their diligence. This guy was not prepared to be a cop. From the story:

Officer Loehmann, 26, who fired the fatal shot, had quit a suburban police force after his supervisors determined two years ago that he had had a “dangerous loss of composure” during firearms training and was emotionally unprepared to cope with stresses of the job. The Cleveland police acknowledged that they had never reviewed the previous police personnel file of Officer Loehmann.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted