1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminist rages at NYT nip slip water polo article

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yesterday, NYT sports writer Sam Borden penned an article about the underwater physicality of water polo, with a lede about how a Spanish player's breast was exposed during a live Web broadcast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/sports/olympics/water-polos-increased-exposure-at-the-olympics.html

That ticked off feminist blogger Chloe Angyal:

http://feministing.com/2012/08/09/sexist-olympic-coverage-lady-athletes-have-ladybits-edition/

This article, about the use underwater cameras in water polo games, explains that sometimes, cutting to underwater cam means that viewers catch a glimpse of boobies! The author of this article could have used this as an opportunity to talk about how rough water polo is, or how swimsuit technology hasn’t yet provided players with suits that don’t rip or stretch away from their bodies. Instead: boobies! Tee hee hee!

Surprisingly, the reaction at Slate.com seems to favor Borden:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/09/water_polo_wardrobe_malfunction_why_the_new_york_times_was_right_to_focus_on_nudity_in_the_pool_.html

I guess I've got to side with Borden here, as much as I frequently try to avoid the knee-jerk impulse to lash out at feminists or other carriers of the "political correctness" banner. The thing is, they frequently do have a point worth pondering, even if the delivery can be rough, and they often don't choose their battles particularly well.

That said, Borden's lede seems justified because he note that "the flashing became a hot topic on the Internet and on social media." Now, I usually rage against the use of social media's reaction as an automatic sidebar to any breaking news story, but at the same time I do understand that it can be a somewhat effective gauge of public reaction these days. And it seemed like an appropriate lede here because Borden, conscious like we all are of a timely news peg, could use people's surprise to lead them into a story that explained that, "Hey, this shit happens all the time!" Which is what he then did.

Thoughts?

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I read the article yesterday. If you had asked me what the original article was about I would have said how rough water polo is, especially below the water surface because the refs can't see it, and poor swimsuit technology. I guess I missed the point.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Didn't seem unseemly to me, but then again I am burdened with a Y chromosome. One thing I think about controversies such as this is that some feminist-types seem unawares that many male-persons can be simultaneously of two minds when watching/admiring women's sports. I found the water polo matches wonderfully compelling -- I was a nervous wreck during that semi-final game, especially after that ill-timed timeout -- while also being amused by the potential for a wardrobe malfunction.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Water polo nip slips happen all the time. Just google it. This ain't the first time one's gotten out there.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We really have more important issues to worry about.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. It's a rough and tumble sport. I've seen a lot worse covering high school water polo.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The board really doesn't have to examine every NY Times piece. Really.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hell of a week for NYC journalism.
    Boobies and vibrators for everyone!!!

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Chloe Angyal's should have saved her outrade for photo galleries highlighting water polo nudity.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Dear Ms. Angyal:

Waaaaaaaa!

Sincerely,
    Da Man

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean like this shot from a previous ESPN Body Issue?

http://stocklandmartelblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/141.jpg

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't see what all the fuzz ... I mean, buzz ... is about.

I mean, I see a couple of 6s in there. Nothing spectacular, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted