1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/193627-episiotomy-delivers-doctor-to-court

Before the medical malpractice trial of a Jefferson County doctor began on Monday, April 16, prospective jurors were warned the content of the trial -- complications following an episiotomy -- may turn even the strongest of stomachs.

Apparently, the defense thought the details were too gruesome for jurors to digest. The case was settled the next day.

Sara Wallace regularly complained of pain in her uterus region after she gave birth. Then she awoke one morning to find feces in her vagina. She and her husband David sued the on-call doctor who delivered their baby.
    Seven months later, the rectovaginal fistula was surgically repaired at Memorial Methodist Hospital in Houston, the petition stated.

McGown says the surgery cost the Wallaces $14,000 and that Sara is still experiencing pain. "She had to endure painful enemas for four months following the surgery."

McGown went on to say the incident has been a source of embarrassment and mental anguish for the Wallaces and has strained their intimate marital relations.

The plaintiffs are suing Long for negligence and violating the medical standard of care.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm hesitant to comment – karma – but I would note that "rectovaginal fistula" would be a great band name.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Umm, the mere mention of the word episiotomy makes me cringe.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that at lunch time, Perry.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My understanding is it's not uncommon for episiotomies to cause lasting problems. At the very least it results in a weakening of the pelvic floor, which leads to loss of urinary or bowel control.

Reason No. 5,278 why I refuse to give birth.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me too.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No clue what "episiotomy" means, but it makes me cringe just the same.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Someone want to educate Oz?

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Well no sh!t (ha!) that it's been a strain on their marriage. Can you imagine taking intimacy totally out of your relationship?

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Just a shitty story all the way around.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did it look like this?

Probably NSFW.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/zipitbucket/perforated_uterus_large.gif

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sometimes during vaginal childbirth the doctor will cut/tear the area between the vagina and anus to make a wider birth canal for the baby to come through. If that area doesn't heal properly, fistulas will form. Fistulas are essentially holes that shouldn't be there and are ripe for infection.

Draft saved Draft deleted