1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

female reporters at the US Open

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

If we didn't, I wouldn't have bloodshot eyes and a full outfit of ruined clothes, thanks to the champagne and Colt .45 flying around the Detroit Shock locker room at the Palace of Auburn Hills Joe Louis Arena today.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Colt 45? Do they still make that stuff?

3. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

#45 was drinking it instead of the good champagne and spraying it instead of the bad champagne.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I knew that had to be Kara Braxton.

5. mkaufman

mkaufman Member

Just got back from the U.S. Open..hadn't lurked around here in a while. As for the locker room incident, the problem is that tennis locker rooms are different from team sports in that some players are getting ready for matches, some have just finished matches, there are junior boys in there, etc...so it's not like NBA or NFL locker rooms where there are set times that the game is over and everyone goes in and the players are ready for interviews.
    That said, the US Open policy is that both locker rooms are open and the security guard is supposed to announce to the players if a reporter of opposite gender is entering so they can cover up.
    In this case, it was mishandled. The guys walked in no problem and got to watch the poignant moment of Agassi's peers giving him a standing ovation (some players even cried), and the women scribes were out in the hall arguing with security guards. The good news is that a few days later, when Jimmy Connors spoke in the locker room, a few of us women got in no problem. USTA is aware of the issue and taking care of it, as far as I know.
    By the way, Agassi's farewell was one of the most wonderful moments of my 20-year career. I felt lucky to be a sportswriter that day.
    Hope everyone had a nice summer.
    Michelle Kaufman.

6. sheos

sheos Member

Michelle Kaufman, you rock

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I second that. This is one of the best examples of why this board is so valuable... those who can weigh in with their personal experiences.

Draft saved Draft deleted