1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

female reporters and the dot.coms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thirsty, Feb 21, 2008.

1. thirsty

thirsty Member

Interesting piece from thebiglead on a discussion that took place a couple weeks ago at the AWSM convention.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4703

(I know some posters aren't fans of the site, but he/she did a credible job with the reporting here. And before anyone starts yelping about women wanting quotas, I can assure you that everyone I spoke to at the convention -- female and male -- agreed the best person for the job should be hired. The question is, how are those people recruited? You could make the argument that the old boy network is most definitely still a hurdle.)

2. Flash

Flash Guest

What are 'talented writes'?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Because she asked about hiring practices at a seminar about hiring practices? What should she have asked about, recipes?

4. Shoes?

:)

5. Just read the story. MMatt, you're totally off-base with your question. 1. New York Times is better than Yahoo! 2. She was being a reporter. Her gender is not pertinent.

6. Who's carrying the grudge? Are you sure it's not you?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, that's very credible but we don't use anonymous sources here.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Hey, she's right about Yahoo. Morgan has hired tons of LA Times-related people or others he worked with in the past. That's his right, and he has to take the heat on lack of diversity in his ranks. (Just look at the mugs on the staff list; it's amazingly white bread.)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread will absolutely not end well.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be about Karen, other than to note she posed the question. Who else was on the panel? (I wasn't there.) Maybe it made no sense to ask them about their hiring practices.

Dave Morgan has the right to build a staff as he sees fit. He's being honest about how he goes about it, even if it does seem a bit odd, given the petty jealousies and cliques that develop in this business. What if the popular boys don't like the latest f--ing stud, or whatever Mizzou calls them?

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Hey, if Barack and Hillary could get along during their debate tonight, so can we.

Big-time columnists like Albom and Lupica are routinely savaged here, so there's nothing wrong with the agenda of another big-time columnist being discussed in a civil manner.

Just to be clear: She's right about Yahoo. ESPN.com, on the other hand, has done a good job with diversity. FoxSports.com isn't bad, either.

Do you think Dave Morgan would hire Lisa Olsen? I bet he's thinking about it.

12. So you like Lisa?

Draft saved Draft deleted