1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female Kicker To Be At NFL N. J. Combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Feb 21, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/02/20/13/Female-kicker-to-break-NFL-gender-barrie/msn_landing.html?blockID=867075&feedID=5065

OK....hope there is no D-B here, but I am wondering: Are we likely to see female kickers in the future in NFL (provided they are good enough and don't just meet equity rule requirements of one kind or another)? And would the players stand for it...?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The players will stand for it if the women can make 57-yard field goals ... which is as likely as there being kickoffs in 10 years.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment.
    [​IMG]

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"The kicker... She was terrible..."

I don't know if a more cringe-inducing comment has ever been made by a major college football coach...

5. Mizzougrad96

Unfortunately, this is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

But sometimes publicity stunts work. I think that guy who posted the video of him kicking all of those crazy field goals on YouTube is playing at Wyoming next season. Getting a sniff from the NFL is a whole different story.

It would be a great story if a woman could become a kicker in the NFL. I hope one day it happens, but I don't think it ever will...

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Not so shocking, I remember seeing a woman trying out to punt for the Eagles:

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

God help her if she makes a team, tries to kick a 55-yarder before halftime and the defense leaves a man back to catch it if it falls short ...

8. Mizzougrad96

Did they bring her in? Or was this some kind of open tryout?

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You don't even need to be a human, much less a male human. If you're got the leg (or four of them), teams will bring you in.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For this to ever really happen, you're going to have to see a female become a regular kicker at a D-I school, and for THAT to really happen you are going to have to see some females become outstanding (not just decent) kickers on the HS level.

We had one team in our area this season with a girl kicker (in the springtime she was honorable-mention all-state in girls soccer on a state-ranked program). She made 8-11 field goals with a long of 43, (including a game-tying FG and an OT game-winner) and was 22-24 on PATs.

Her PAT and FG kicks cleared the bar by plenty, but the team never had her kick off. There was some scuttlebutt that the girls soccer coach had put the kibosh on that idea (he didn't want one of his best players getting bulldozed on a kickoff play).

It should be noted some BOYS soccer coaches have similar arrangements if they "loan" kickers to the football team. I once saw an all-state boys soccer player boot a kickoff down to the 2 yard line, bend over and pick up his tee, then turn and run straight off the field as the kickoff returner ran right past him for a 98-yard TD. The kicker never made even the slightest move to stop him.

This was particularly ridiculous since the all-state soccer guy was a big strong rangy guy, 6-2 and 200, probably a better athlete than almost everybody on the football team. Hell, he probably would have started both ways if he was a full-time football player. But the soccer coach said, "he kicks, then he gets off the field, period" (at this school soccer was a big deal and the coach had the clout to say so).

11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Our high school soccer coach made that offer to our football coach - the team didn't even have a kicker, and the punter averaged about 25 yards. The football coach said he only wanted football players on his team, not someone who would run screaming if they had to make a tackle.

Kid that was willing to do it? Won a state wrestling championship at about 180 pounds. Football team? Won two games in three years. He probably would have been the best tackler on the team the first time he set foot on the field.

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

My initial thought to this was that kickers, in addition to being able to kick, must be able to tackle in the event that an opponent is close to returning a kickoff for a touchdown.
    But looking at how well most of the NFL kickers handle that part of the game...I guess it's possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted