1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Felix Hernandez throws perfect game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 15, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If I needed that kind of response, I'd start trying to talk to my wife about it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I am saying he was a great hitter - so he would have had the same number of RBIs.
    Driving in runs is part of being a complete hitter.

3. outofplace

RBI relies heavily on other hitters getting on base to give the opportunity to drive somebody in, so playing for a better team tends to have an impact on that category as well. Not as big of an impact as it does on wins, but not insignificant, either.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yay! so now i get to "say" that between 1995 and 2001, EM's wheelhouse, the M's scored 6,266 runs while the yankees scored 6,051 runs. playing for the M's didn't hurt martinez at all.

thanks oop! ; )

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Back to the Rays, and the fact that it seems like they've been no-hit a LOT since they've become good: Has there ever been a better team with a more generally pathetic offense?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1963.shtml

7. outofplace

Happy to offer up the assist.

Nice research. Never really thought playing with the Mariners of that era actually hurt Martinez's production, but I hadn't seen that comparison.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

never thought you did, but i thought maybe some other asshole did. ; P

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Longoria's been out most of the season, even with him they don't have a real good lineup. Pena has become a modern day Kingman. Upton is good, but his production is less than the sum of his tools. Zobrist showed signs of being a very good player a couple years ago, but he's been just above average to good. Joyce can't hit lefties. Jennings would be better if more teams had the old parking lot astroturf. Rodriguez, Keppinger, Roberts and Molina would be backups on most good teams.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1986 Angels. They got no-hit by Joe Cowley, were one-hit three times (Joe Niekro, Charlie Hough (who lost 2-1), Walt Terrell) and were two-hit six times. Still won the AL West and famously came one strike away from the World Series.

Only two other teams since the Dead Ball Era have had 0 to 2 hits in a game more times than the '86 Angels with 10 — the 1965 Mets and the 1968 Cubs, who each had 11.

The 2010 Rays had 8 such games, including the Jackson and Braden no-hitters.

And here's an interesting note: The post-Deadball record for most wins with 0-2 hits is three, held by the 1946 Red Sox, 1971 Giants and 2007 Padres.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

oh, so you're going to ignore my '63 dodgers?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, your boys sure couldn't score worth a damn. 3.9 runs per game was still above the league average (3.8) that year, though.

But they were only two-hit three times, and never one-hit or no-hit. So they're not on the list.

1965 Dodgers were worse, actually: 3.7 runs per game (8th in NL), one-hit twice and two-hit once.

Draft saved Draft deleted