1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Felix Hernandez throws perfect game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Only if he outlasts the BBWAA voters who think that if he's so good, why doesn't he win 20 games each year?

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

He would have the wins if he were with the Yankees.
    I know that's a real popular stat with the less evolved species among us.
    But guy I have made HOF case for on these boards - Egdar Martinez - he would still have the RBIs anywhere.

3. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

And only Jim Joyce kept that from being three.

4. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

This wasn't the first perfect game in Mariners history as all the media outlets are reporting. Phillip Humber of the White Sox threw a perfect game against them just under four months ago at Safeco Field. Today was the first perfect game thrown by a player in a Mariner uniform.

I know it's just matter of semantics but it's a pet peeve of mine that most teams/media fail to consider milestone games as part of the losing team's history too. Michael Jordan's shot over Craig Ehlo is also a part of the Cleveland Cavs history and Reggie Miller's 8 points in under 16 seconds at MSG to win game one of the 1994-95 NBA Eastern Conference Semi-Final is also a part of Knicks history. Sandy Koufax's perfect game at Dodger Stadium in 1965 where Bob Hendley only gave up one hit is part of Chicago Cubs history too.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What team in its right mind would say a perfect game thrown AGAINST them is the first perfecto in the team's history?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is it too late for Hernandez to be traded to the Yankees?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think what Oscar Gamble is arguing is that it's not the media's job to be a mouthpiece for the team.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So Johan Santana's no-hitter wasn't the first in Mets history because several pitchers have thrown no-hitters against the Mets.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That is some nitpicky crapola right there.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It was. 3 no-hitters, 2 perfect games in the same park this year. The same plate umpire called balls/strikes in both Humber's perfect game and the 6-pitcher no-hitter.

I find it interesting that the Rays have had 3 perfect games thrown against them in a pretty short amount of time -- and it was *after* they became a contender in the East.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not asking people to be a mouthpiece. That's taking a colloquialism that is ambiguous when taken literally, and asking it to be reinterpreted in an equally valid but completely confusing way. It's pedantry.

Draft saved Draft deleted