1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Felger vs. John Henry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ice9, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Surprised haven't seen a thread on this, but Red Sox principal owner John Henry showed up impromptu at the 98.5 studios to defend himself on the air for an hour and a half. Wondering what you guys think of all this

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/10/14/felger-mazz-john-henry-invades-felger-and-massarotti/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am surprised that you did not do a better search:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86538/

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Either way, it's old news. Investigative reporter writes revealing piece, and half of those involved squawk. Let's get beyond this. I'm bore.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Felger really got out of hand this week. He went there on the air with a net rumor that's been bouncing around the Net for years but has never been used in a paper or on air: the alleged Heidi Watney-Jason Varitek schtupping. She ended up calling the station to deny it after three-plus years of being able to ignore it, and Comcast's Bruins guy, Joe Haggerty, then called in to defend Felger and basically call Heidi incompetent.
    It's open season for media-on-media violence at this point.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He asked excellent questions and didn't give an inch. It was a great piece of talk radio, candid and revealing.

Just when you thought the medium had no redeeming value.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'm alone, but I thought Henry held his own. The best line, and I'm paraphrasing here, is when Felger asked if the other teams (NASCAR, Liverpool) has hurt the Red Sox, and without missing a beat, Henry said, "Yeah, expanding has really hurt the Patriots (with the Revolution)."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Revolution are worth one-20th of what Liverpool and Roush Fenway are and have a fraction of the fans. Not a very good retort.

8. Felger (who I can't stand) did have a good retort to the Patriots / Revolution quip; "Yeah and the Patriots haven't won a playoff game in 3 years either."

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that was a tongue-in-cheek, last-ditch effort from the eyebrow-less wonder.

Draft saved Draft deleted