1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein's new book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 1, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good to see that idiot post was nuked...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Enough.
    Not directed at you BYH.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Is that the traditional formula, that a writer would get $2.50 per book sold?

If so, or less, I've got to think that there are very few people capable of making a living as sports authors.

4. Yeah, standard royalties are between 10-12 percent.

I've written a book, and my family thinks that I'm essentially one book away from Stephen King money. I spent more researching it than it will ever make.

People don't get it.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've started it and am enjoying it. Why Mussina and Glavine? Feinstein answers that right off the bat -- guys who have been around, guys who would have opinions, guys he has a relationship with in the past, guys who know about the art of pitching.

Kind of a mini dig at Roger Angell in the intro when Feinstein writes that he had the idea for the book in 1999 and first went to Roger Cone with it. Cone said he had promised Roger Angell he would have the first shot at writing a book with Cone, so he gave Angell the chance. Angell took it. Feinstein writes about the disappointing sales for Angell's book and says that he still thought it was a great idea for a book, so he'd do it with someone better.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I can see why a book about some pitcher named Roger Cone would have disappointing sales. ;D

I definitely want to read about the end of Glavine's season last year. That should be a pretty fascinating section.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

People would be surprised how little you can make doing a book.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Considering the last two of his efforts I read were purchased at Dollar Tree, he ain't making much in the way of royalties off me! I also saw another there (the Bethpage Black Open) but unfortunately I paid full price years ago.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm amazed how DC journos seem to be able to toss off books while also writing for a daily, weekly or hosting a network broadcast.
    I think in most cases, the journos get the deals because they'll be on TV anyway discussing the topic du jour and can get introduced as "author of...." The publishers don't care so much about the topic, but the opportunity to sell the thing.
    Feinstein is a great storyteller, but I do wish some of his work had more bite to it.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Of course publishers will be more likely to take a chance on a known "name," rather than some unknown scribbler. That sort of rich-get-richer thing hardly is limited to sports books or even sports media. That's the culture, kiddo. For the publisher, they probably see it as a handy filter to go with people from the big leagues, assuming that their reporting and writing already has been certified if they've made it that far in their careers.

I am as skeptical of writers who spin off books by shorting their day jobs, or save some juicy stuff for their books rather than putting it in the newspaper, as I am of writers who block out two or three hours every day (regardless of news or interview ops) to do broadcast stuff. I give Feinstein credit for not pretending to be a three- or four-time a week sports columnist while cranking his books out.

And, for all of these strong opinions I harbor on the matter, I acknowledge that few people give a damn what I think about it. :mad: ;D

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm about 100 more pages in now and it is getting a little bogged down in play-by-play.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Your family loves you too much to tell you the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted