1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein's new book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 1, 2008.

1. Anyone pick it up yet or read it?

It's about Tom Glavine and Mike Mussina. Just got it today. Pretty long -- in the 500-page neighborhood.

Wonder how much Feinstein gets for his books, or what his deal is, in terms of advances. I'm guessing he signs on for multiple books at a time, correct?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I just saw it on Amazon. Two of my favorite pitchers of my generation. I might buy it.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We got a comp copy in the office, which I have not pilfered/borrowed. Should probably start it tonight.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Started it in the bookstore the other day. I do wanna know where in the hell he finds the time to churn these out. It's basically one a year now. What is it, eight, nine months of research, then three months of writing, and start again? As we speak he's probably finishing up a 450-page tome on Davidson's run to the Elite Eight while hanging out on the PGA tour for a 300-pager on a season in the life of Butch Harmon.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Feinstein is great, but why am I supposed to care about Glavine and Mussina?

Is it the story about one of the nicest guys in baseball and one of the most arrogant assholes?

6. Mizzougrad96

A book a year at probably a minimum of $500K per book... It's the best writing job in the world...

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I like his books but this one sounds like it wouldn't interest me at all.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm 200 pages in and it is good thus far. We're in spring training of the season he's chroniciling. He did a nice job setting up, the "how they got to this point" segment.
    Feinstein was able to make me look at Brian Billick another way and he's getting there with Mussina.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I really want to read this. I imagine they both gave him plenty of good material.

10. That's insane. No way his books sell 200,000 copies, is there?

11. Mizzougrad96

I know at one point he had a five book, $2.5 million deal, but that was a few years back. I have no idea how many books he sells, but I know even most of his bad ones make the best seller list.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I assume part of it will focus on the fact one was with the Yanks and the other with the Mets.

Draft saved Draft deleted