1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein vs. Katz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Apr 9, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Apparently there were some fireworks at the US Basketball Writers awards breakfast at the Final Four when some USBWA members took offense to the ESPN schmoozefest that reportedly took place.

Rumors were that John Feinstein and outgoing USBWA prez Andy Katz got into a loud, heated argument. Any eyewitnesses care to report?

Oh, and winner of the best column category in the USBWA's annual writing contest? Jay Bilas, ESPN.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When Bilas stops playing an ACC cabana boy with such stunning conviction, please let us know.

3. Did the meeting last less than a day and a half this year?

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Bilas won the writing contest?

These things are frauds. What did Bilas write to warrant mention? I am about sick of these awards. There has to be some integrity in the process. If someone has a link to the Bilas winner, and it is worthy, I will apologize.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good to know Bilas won the writing award... I would have hated to see it go to Weiss or Tipton or someone who is actually, what is the term I'm looking for? A writer...

Feinstein is a brilliant writer. But, he is also widely known as one of the highest-maintenance, most argumentative egos in the business...

I love the guy. But it doesn't take much to send him on a rant.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm sure all the TV lifers thought the same thing when PTI won a Sports Emmy ...

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I heard they were arguing over who's cooler: Freddie Couples or Billy Donovan.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

PTI was deserving. There's a difference.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mizzou,

I don't see how any person working on television could have a problem with PTI winning. I would like to see what Bilas wrote before commenting, because just as Howie Long also won an Emmy (and deservedly so), there's no reason Bilas shouldn't win a writer's award -- if it's a good piece.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Alma with the slam!

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Jay Bilas may not be a writer for a living, but he did graduate from Duke Law and is a (seldom) practicing attorney. To say that this disqualfies him from being able to string together sentences at the same level as someone who works exclusively as a sportswriter seems a little disingenuous.

But I haven't read his work either, so I don't know for sure.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Save it for the Best of Bilas thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted