1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein: Shanahan pulled McNabb over race, should be fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 13, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Preponderance of evidence says: Yes he is!

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hiring guys who won a Super Bowl elsewhere has been demonstrated to be an expensive
    mistake, in the vast majority of cases.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This theory has been getting a lot more play than it probably should around here. I think what it really is, is that this team has a long history of racial insensitivity and idiocy. They used to play Dixie in the stadium. They were the last team to integrate, and only then so they could get RFK Stadium built. A lot of fans aren't happy with the way Doug Williams was treated after winning a Super Bowl here. I was too young to know the politics of what was going on, but at the time he seemed to me to only be an average QB, but considering the prevalent thought on black QBs back then, it sort of makes more sense now. Things like that are why there are so many Cowboys fans in this area.

More recently fans have seen the team totally fuck over Jason Campbell and treat him like shit, and now this blatant deceit on the part of Shanahan regarding McNabb. When Joe Gibbs lied, he at least did it in a folksy and somewhat less transparent manner. Shanahan's lies were clumsy, disingenuous, and simply full of shit. The fact he thought he could fool anyone with what he said last week suggests he thinks all of us are morons. But as I've long maintained, people are coming to realize he's no rocket scientist, he's simply covering his son's ass. And his son had to spend the bye week trying to get back on the same page with McNabb again.

I think the smarter way to play this, if you're going to make race a subplot in this, is to say this is one more reason why some black people feel the way they do about this team. The team has a history of scapegoating them, and it's the white players like Sonny and Riggo who still get celebrated the most, though guys like Dexter Manley, Brian Mitchell, and Darrell Green figure to be the next in line among great figures the team and its fans celebrate on a regular basis to make people feel good about the good ole days. But to say Shanahan did anything that was out and out racist is absurd. He's not a racist. He's just an egotistical dickhead with his head up his ass.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Sonny and Riggo do a great job of self-promotion. Green is quiet in nature and Dexter Manley has been a disaster off the field.

Brian Mitchell has created a nice niche in the area with endorsements and radio.

John Thompson started the racial stuff the day after the benching which isn't a surprise.

As for Shanahan, you are 100% correct. He is lying douchebag who can't get his lies straight and can't even deliver the lie in a believable manner. Snyder deserves him.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always wonder about pro athletes that have a chip on their shoulder or seem to be bitter - and yet one athlete who seems to have every right to be pissed off is Donovan McNabb. From Day One when his selection was booed to what I'm sure will be an inglorious ending, people have dumped on him.
    His autobiography I would not mind reading.
    It was hard to agree with Reilly, clearly Shanahan isn't racist if he traded for the guy, at most you can accuse him of insensitivity. And I don't know of a football coaching job anywhere where sensitivity to others was a requirement.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If he got pissed off every once in a while, he wouldn't get treated like that by everyone.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have loved reading Feinstein, after Season on the Brink, and keep up on his blog, but this is wild. Its a huge step and I've got to hope that he's got something other than his intuition.

If Shanahan was racist, he starts with some capital against the claim since he traded for the guy. However, that does not give him a free pass. I'd like to see what comes out in the next few weeks, if anything.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah Manley is a moron, very good for a few seasons. Art Monk should definitely be more recognized and appreciated.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe so. But Monk is basically a recluse. Manley still gets his name out there, and for all his flaws, people love him.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's amazing that some of the people on this board hate/are jealous of Reilly so much that when he writes a terrific, well-supported, lucid column he still gets bashed here.
    Reilly has been guilty of phoning in a lot of pieces for the big money he earns, but this was well-supported and well-written.
    And the "his friend for 30 years" line is crap. Reilly said he's known him for 30 years. In other words, he has a background and knows his subject. That's a sin now? Knowledge is a flaw? Good gracious, it seems like we've fallen far.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember asking Manley a question and he told me - being a scar-faced ass clown - to elaborate. If I had known the bastard was illiterate, I would've told him to spell elaborate for me.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes on both counts. Look at Shanahan sometime and you judge for yourself if he's not wound too tight. And history shows that Snyder is stupid. He might be rich, but he's a rich dummy. His problem is that he's too much of a fan.
    And everyone knows fan is short for fanatic.

Draft saved Draft deleted