1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein: Shanahan pulled McNabb over race, should be fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is just bizarre. John Feinstein of all people dropping a grenade like this?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/feinstein_suggests_shanahan_sh.html

Reilly has already gone after Junior.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5795495

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Feinstein is an idiot.

Reilly is an idiot who sold his soul to the devil.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bill Rhoden on vacation?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. Reilly catches a lot of heat on here - that was pretty good.

I'm foggy as usual. Did I read something earlier today, maybe it was related to the Feinstein piece? Maybe not?

Shanahan denied something Mort reported and someone said that was interesting because Shanahan was probably the source?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's what I read, from Steinberg's always-excellent bog:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/shanahan_calls_mortensen_repor.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked Reilly's column. I'm a huge Feinstein fan, but he's just wrong on so many different levels.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say Feinstein's right about this. I think he's probably off-base. But I'm not sure what he's suggesting is wildly off the mark, and if I'm a Redskins fan Shanahan scares the hell out of me long-term.

Shanahan seems happy to humiliate players at the expense of the team. It's not just that he benched McNabb with two minutes left -- he benched him for Rex Grossman. Show of hands -- anyone think Grossman gave them a better chance to win? I don't think the Shanahans genuinely believed it either. They followed that up by explaining that McNabb was just too dumb to grasp their offense... then changed it to lazy... then went back to dumb. Did anyone think that race wouldn't come up after that?

That comes after the Albert Haynesworth battle, when Shanahan did everything he could to humiliate the guy and kept him off the field. I'm not suggesting Haynesworth was innocent in that, but the fact is, the team is better when Haynesworth is playing.

Again, I seriously doubt it's a racial thing, but it would concern me to have a coach who seems much more intent on proving what a badass he is than in actually winning games.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Donovan-McNabb-Mike-Shanahan-benching-Washington-Redskins-110210

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nothing burns me more in this business than when columnists write from their couches about how coaches and athletes should say less.

Almost gives credence to LeBatard's column a few months ago.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is so freaking stupid. Years ago, when Doug Williams was benched, racism may have played a part. In this case, it's Feinstein stirring up shit.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Plenty of fat, lazy and stupid white guys in the world, too.

I cannot see a pro coach lessening his chance to win over skin color. Kentucky and UTEP was a long, long time ago.

This isn't small school prep football.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Shanahan and his moronic son should be fired because they're incompetent. They should be on the hot seat for signing Rex Grossman, let alone putting him on a field for anything except mowing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted