1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling your age.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not to make this a bar thread, but I will push my favorite Austin bar that I visited a couple of months ago - the Molotov. It is a great place to hang out.
    And, don't start talking about how old you are, try being 26 and covering high school athletes.
    Honestly, covering high school kids does make me feel old because I can barely remember high school. I can't believe I am two years from my 10-year reunion. Covering college kids doesn't faze me because we have a job to do and you just do it. It can be intimidating because they are close to my age, but I just remind myself I am at work and my job is to interview them and do a story.
    Oh, and fuck the Horns. We all know the refs cheated and USC is the true national champ!

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Age, young Shooter, is but a number. Although you can now rent a car and not pay extra.

I'm in my early 30s, but we have a young staff. They make me feel like I'm still in my mid-20s, but I have all that knowledge from the past 8-9 years. I'm sage, and I can outdrink the whipper-snappers :)

Seriously, though, enjoy life. Enjoy having a little more wisdom. And what GQ said about family and friends, take it to heart. He's right.

Happy birthday!

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can't agree enough with Glen's first graf (pass on the beer, though). Chronological age isn't as important as how old you feel and how you carry yourself.

A belated happy birthday to you, by the way. Here's to UT -- for everyone who couldn't get into TCU! :D

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There are still bullet holes in the concrete, you know. It's kinda freaky to touch the base of that statue by the steps.

I once took an Austin-Dallas-OKC road trip, for fun. Saw the tower, Dealey and Murrah in one day. I'm a little macabre.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

move on to a college beat or the pros

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

'It's better to look good than to feel good." [/Fernando Lamas]

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've had that icky feeling at times. Here, I'll give you a few pick-me-ups.

1. There are 50 year-old-men covering the NFL. That age gap is significantly worse, and they don't feel funny, why should you?

2. What Xan said - you're not there to be a peer of these folks - you're the wise adult journalist doing a job many of them will eventually covet the hell out of. But they won't get that opportunity because they'll be behind a desk working the phones to sell copiers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Carry yourself knowing this.

3. Regardless of your age, most of the teenaged boys have a crush on you.

(Sorry guys - that one only works for the women.)

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Covering college sports doesn't bother me in the slightest. I was just observing that it's an odd sensation to realize "Hey! You're a grown up with a real job. Welcome to the real world." That's all. Not bothered, just the odd sensation sometimes.

I won't even respond to your parting comment...  ;)

That is a little macabre. I've seen the tower, but had to pass up on a special tour of the observation deck.  :(
    I have, however, seen the Murrah building site multiple times, the first time four days after the bombing, from across the street at about 11 p.m. As sobering an experience as I've ever had, and I was 13.

Lug, you have made my day.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from UT. I'm 24 and a SE at small daily and cover preps pretty much 24/7. But, I have a part time job in the winter that I might love more than what I'm doing now. Anyway, that keeps me feeling young. Plus a lot of my friends are a bit younger (20-23) so chilling with them all the time keeps me young, at least I think. I might be 24, but I feel like a 19-year-old.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

:'(

I haven't ruined my chances with you, have I cadet?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lugnuts' post is perfect. You're a professional, not a peer. Better they respect you for your experience and professionalism than your belly ring and tats.

That said, I think we need a freakin rule around here that no one should have age angst until AT LEAST the age of 30, maybe 35, if at all. You can control just about everything in your life except your age. Don't make it an issue.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Dude, I'm just teasing :) You set that one up on a tee, how could I not? Plus, I just discovered 'fun with the quote function'. It's like a new toy.

Draft saved Draft deleted